Help remove 2nd copy of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than wanting to install a 2nd copy of XP on the same drive/partition, I need to remove a 2nd copy that was 'accidentally' installed on a 2nd drive/partition.

The original was XP HE w/SP2 update installed. The 2nd was supposed to be a repair of the C: drive following a crash [BSOD] and thence became inaccessible due to a corrupt system32\config\system file. It was installed on another partition, drive F:, which was supposed to be for data storage, and is the OEM revision, with no programs, etc. added.

I did get my original C: XP to work now and want to get rid of the 2nd on F:. In Disk Manager it shows C: as healthy and 'system' & F: as healthy and 'boot', both are basic disks, no extensions.

What procedures do I follow to uninstall the F: windows installation, but hopefully keep my data files; although as they are few they could be moved temporarily until XP is uninstalled; then re-added.
F: is labeled 'My Files' with Windows as a folder, added between the other data file folders. [step-by-step, simple please]? How do I get the 'system' and 'boot' into the C: Drive partition so that the boot, etc. files are all available upon windows booting to C:?

Thanks,
Gateway 2000E
XP HE [OEM installation CD]

D.D.

Format it

Keep the working C: drive thats working and,
Format the other partitiond eg : D:
Right in My Computer .
I did it this way.:)

why not delete the additional partition and merge the paritions together afterwards? Make sure you remove any valuable data first.

My way

Why not Format the extra partition and use it for valuable data.
Temporarily put it on C: drive.If theres no room burn it to cd.
Some things like your Favorites can be put back and you won't have to start over.
Formating this drive refreshes it.It's best to have at least 2 partitions.
If your new Windows installed ok,do a Windows update right away.
Refuse any promps from Windows to install hardware.
Get the latest drivers for them.
Then do a Defrag of C:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back