Help requested to optimise internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,
I have hp pavilion system with 1 GB RAM, pentium IV processor and AVG free anti-virus and spyware programs installed and hi-speed dial-up connection with 3G Modem and connected to the network of 5 HCL computers with 256 MB RAM, Celeron processor and AVG free anti-virus and spyware programs installed. In the desktop icon, it shows the internet connection speed is 230.4 kbps. but the internet connection is terribly slow. Please let me know what I should do to optimize my internet connection.
Thanks.
scbalaji

it shows the internet connection speed is 230.4 kbps. but the internet connection is terribly slow
I think you just answered your own question.

hi-speed dial-up connection with 3G Modem
Are you talking about a 3G cellular modem? These modems often have a hard time getting anywhere near their theoretical speeds.

It would be much more worth your time and $$$ to see if they offer a broadband service like cable/DSL/fiber in your area.

Thanks Gavilan,
there is no broadband facility in my area.
Is there any other possibilities or how it can be maximum optimised.

Not much you can do with dial-up even with the best in corp world they get 53kbps down... You don't have DSL from your phone company or they just don't offer it yet?

> it shows the internet connection speed is 230.4 kbps. but the internet connection is terribly slow

dial-up is like 56kbs, ASDL (broadband over telco line) is ~756kbs
so if you're accessing via a cellphone, you're doing well.

the only thing I might suggest is forcing the MTU to 576. this will ensure
no fragmentation of your packets and therefore less retries.

Thank u friend

I tried but not much helpful. Sometimes the internet speed is ok. but most of the time it is slow. is that my network problem or with the ISP. please let me know.
My network problem, I mean, the problem is with my computer. Is that anything i should do?

I have a friend who could not get cable or DSL and ended up using a satellite dish for both TV and his Internet connection. Seemed to work well for him once he got the disk pointed and adjusted optimally and it might be an option for you.

If you can afford it try wildblue from dish network.. I dont know if DirectPC is still available..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back