Help...Screen freezes then flashes black, but mouse pointer still moves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can help...

While browsing websites or using programs (such as Word, FrontPage, PSP etc), my computer screen seems to have a problem. If I scroll down the page or try to open documents, the screen will freeze for a while then turn black...the mouse pointer still moves, yet I have to wait for a while until the page will return to normal. When it does return to normal however, the process is just repeated and I don't seem to be getting anywhere...

My computer has an Nvidia GeForce4 graphics card, 512 Rambus memory and an Intel Pentium 4 Processor. (If that helps at all)

If anyone can give me any insight to the problem, I would be so greatful :giddy:

Have you tried cleaning up your system? IE.. emptying recycle bin, deleting temp files, registry repair, disk defrag, clearing temporary internet files etc...?

poor system maintainance will causes lockups, slowdowns etc..

I would do all of the above first.

you probably solved this by now but have you tried updating the graphics card drivers? or reinstall office if the problem is only with office applications.

Yes, please clarify if the fault occurs when you're in specific applications, or if it happens when you're simply on the desktop? When the screen goes black does the Hard Drive LED (that's usually either the orange, or red one on the front of your computer) light up and flicker and do you hear lots of clicking and other Hard Drive busy noises?
When did this start happening? Did you install anything new recently? Have you downloaded anything recently?

Drivers for your graphics card can be found at www.nvidia.com. They'll be in the download section, but I have to say, I've never seen driver issues like this in office apps and iexplore. It's not as if they're exactly challenging graphically.

If you right-click on your desktop and select properties from the mini-menu that pops up, then goto:
Settings->Advanced->Monitor
from here please check that your refresh rate is set as low as possible. It's a long shot if your computer is hanging, but it's easy so it's worth a try.

Also, I'm assuming you're using a version of Windows XP, or 2000. Could you please just confirm this for us.

just read pixie's post again and it seems that the problem is with everything.

So Sounds like could be an infection, low resources due to too many things running, cpu or graphics card overheating issue? what do you think lek?

could you say whether problem solved and how or give more detailed discript of problem please pixie.

It may be caused by a lot of junk on your system. Go HERE to solve this. Alternatively it may be spyware/virus, go HERE to fix this.

Good luck.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back