Help setting up hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph30nIX

Hi, i just bought a second hand hub to experiment setting up a small server.

I plugged it in and it detects it and all, but it wont assign the IP properly and gets limited connectivity errors. (on windows)

Its meant to have webaccess to administer it, but i cant work out the IP to connect on.

Im always using ICS to give internet to my other pc on 192.168.0.1, which im assuming is the hubs ip which is causing the conflict :knock: .

Is it relativley easy to share internet through the hub?

regards,
ph33nix

the hub will provide electrical connectivity, but does not supply DHCP support,
which means you have to configure every device attached to it manually.

a better solution is a router.

Ok, so assuming the default ip will be in the 192.168 range. I just need to configure every other machine to be 192.168.0.*** and have 192.168.0.1 (machine with net) as the default gateway?

I did have plenty of trouble setting up ICS and cannot afford a 24port router.

This is mainly for a server, so its possible only 2 machines will need net, so will just having both machines still connected via crossover, and then a 2nd connection to the hub do the job?

Regards,
Ph30nIX

Are you sure it is a hub? What brand/model is it?

Are you using the hub with ICS? As in you unplugged the crossover cable and replaced the other computer with a hub? If yes, then the ICS and automatic IP assignment should work just as with only one PC connected (the server machine supplies IP addresses). Double-check all your cables and make sure all computers have a link.

Yes im sure its a hub. "3Com SuperStack 2 Switch 1100 24 Pt 3C16950 MATRIX MOD"

I installed a NIC in my ICS machine and used a straight cable to connect to the router to see if i could work out the web administration. I am yet to buy another straight cable for connecting my other pc. Once i get another cable i shall get back to you.

3Com SuperStack 2 Switch 1100 24 Pt 3C16950 MATRIX MOD
So it's a switch really.. It should still Just Work nevertheless.

In order to set up web-based managemnt, you have to configure the IP address using the serial port (RTFM).

there should be management software for it
sounds used and not config'ed for your setup
once you have the software running there is a hole in it to reset the switch
from there it's a matter of removeing ICS ,I'm think'n you don't need that anymore
set your nics to a static ip address the switch will ask for a ip address
this should make it a dhcp server
I am not that up on 3com ,but the one you have is only 10mb network
i use a intel 3layer 10/100 switch close nuff
best starting point would be to plug the modem into a port and the port you used on the one pc for the modem plug that into the switch
reset the nic to dynamic for now see if you can get on line
not much here
3com

Samstoned said:
the switch will ask for a ip address this should make it a dhcp server
a switch does not have an ip address just like a hub does not have an address.

if there is a DHCP server available, the devices attached to the hub/switch will
still be able to use dynamic ip address assignment. Otherwise, they need to be
configured manually: ip-address, dns-address, subnet mask and gateway address (which is safe to set as the router address).

my switch has a ip address
so maybe a 3layer is diff from a 2 layer
like I said not up on 3com
I don't need to use the ip address to make it work but to manage it I need the address to config the ports and all
look up intel 550t r your not look'n at the right kinda switch there jobeard

Ok so its a switch, I got myself confused.

I found the management software but theres actually nothing to manage at the moment seeing as only one computer is plugged in.

(My modem is usb so i cant plug it into the switch) Which is why im using ICS, but as i said, at this stage its hard to work anything out with only the one comptuer plugged in.

you need a standard modem with RJ45 plug
I guess you can't get your money back for the switch I have seen these on ebay pretty cheap aha
some come with 10/100 some have the gigabit adapter
you really need a router 4 port and up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back