Help... svchost.exe taking over CPU...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Recently, soon after startup, my laptop (XP Pro) starts lagging due to a svchost.exe taking up 99% of my CPU. I can jump start this process by starting Microsoft Outlook (which is normally the first thing I do when I turn my computer on).

If I end the process, the computer runs fine, except my wireless card no longer works (Windows says it cannot configure the wireless card).
Also, I noticed I lose sound from many Apps randomly (don't know if this has anything to do w/ the particular svchost.exe in quesiton.

I ran TrendMicro's online scan (no problems) and have recently run SmitFraudFix (a freeware that supposedly fixes worms, viruses, etc). I downloaded SmitFraudFix because I was infected w/ the Spylocked worm which had constant warnings via a system tray icon. Luckily, the SmitFradFix App seems to have fixed the Spylocked worm issue, but now this...

I just downloaded the free time trial version of Security Task Manager to try and isolate the specific svchost. It indeed came up as a legit MS Windows App, w/ a PID of 2024.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
David

I have a Dell Latitude D510 w/ 512 Megs of RAM... I know, it sux, but its company issued...

Update on problem svchost...

Ending the process via Ctrl-Alt-Del fixes the problem but also removes my Wireless Internet Connection icon in the System Tray... that must be the culprit... but oddly enough, I'm still able to browse via WiFi... oh, and no sound...

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of wonsukl only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks, but I found the problem~~~ =)
You might want to pass this along to other folks who are having problems w/ svchost hogging their CPU usage... It turned out to be Microsoft's Automatic Updates. I had mine set to notify my when new ones were available, but it was still causing issues. Turned Automatic updates off, and all good now!

Thanks for the assistance~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back