Help! Virus scan finds msldr32.dll and cannot clean it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today when I got home I tried browsing the internet and every time I open explorer I get an error message that it needs to close. It looked like a virus so since I can keep internet explorer open I ran the free virus scan on trendmicro.com and it found an infected file "msldr32.exe" and cannot clean it. It looked like a microsoft system file so I did a search on it and found this forum, but could not follow the threads I found concerning this problem because there was alot of arguing going on but I found out how to downloading and use Hijack This and I have made the log file, I hope its ok to post it right away... I'm desperate and I had planned on playing some online video games but thats out of the question now.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`re using an outdated version of HijackThis.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Jindrisek only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ok It seems I was able to remove the virus using this thread.

Now I dont get the error message when running MSIE. I ran trendmicro again and it found the virus again, but was able to remove the virus "trojan.generic" this time. So I ran trendmicro one more time and it did not find any viruses that time.

Now my question is I hope the virus is really 100% gone because I use my PC to pay bills and buy stuff on newegg.com and amazon.com alot. Also I have online game subscriptions and although I don't think it stores my credit card info, I am worried about it still. I have not paid anything since I had this virus problem but I need to pay my cell phone bill.

I don't mind doing a clean install, but also need to know the best anti-virus program to use that is worth my money. I heard lots of bad things about the popular ones, norton and mcaffee... how about trendmicro pc-cillin and internet security?

I already use windows fire wall, its all I ever needed. I had never had a virus before in 9 years of using PC's until now. I stay away from downloading junk from the internet, like my friend who downloads MP3's from a different program every week... he gets viruses all the time. The only thing remotely junkie on my PC is EAC wich I need because I put all my CD's on my PC and I don't like the job windows media player and other programs do.

I want to buy a good anti-virus thats worth my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back