Help w/ ATI 9700 pro, V2's sli and WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem. My setup is a 2.4 P4, 512meg PC1066, 9700pro, WinXP home edition and 2 12meg Voodoo2's in SLI mode. I cannot find a driver that works in this rig without corrupting the desktop. I've tried a couple of 3rd party drivers but to no avail. Anyone ever had this similiar problem? Just trying to play a couple of old glide games...

Thanks for the help!

Could you be a bit more specific in which 3rd party drivers you've tried?

And from what I can remember the last time I got drivers for my V5, the V2 had just gotten a partial w2k driver pack... So it's quite possible that noone has bothered creating any XP drivers for it... (But I'll have a little looksee :))

[EDIT]Oh, and which games are you trying to play?[/EDIT]

Well, I came across some 3rd party drivers which might help (and some not 3rd party drivers)...
You can find the here...

I'd recommend that you try one of the two listed at the bottom of the page, as they'll only install Glide&openGL drivers, so you shouldn't get any conflict with the 9700pro...

There is a thread here which contains some info that might be useful (a bit down on the page)...

I'm sorry I can't give you any more info right now, but that's all I could find... Now I'm off to bed, but I'll try to find some more tomorrow...

BTW: You are using two identical V2's?!? (from the same manufacturer?) If you're not, then you might as well give it up... There are no drivers for mismatched V2's and NT kernel (which XP is built upon)...

make sure this is set correctly also

from http://www.rojakpot.com/

Init Display First

Common Options : AGP, PCI

Details

Although the AGP bus was designed exclusively for the graphics subsystem, some users still have to use PCI graphics cards for multi-monitor support. This is because there can be only one AGP port! So, if you want to use multiple monitors. you must either get an AGP card that provides multi-monitor support or use PCI graphics cards.

For those who upgraded from a PCI graphics card to an AGP one, it's certainly enticing to use the old PCI graphics card to support a second monitor. The PCI card would certainly do the job just fine as it merely sends display data to the second monitor. You don't need a powerful graphics card to run the second monitor as Microsoft Windows 2000/XP does not support 3D graphics acceleration on the second monitor.

In such cases of an AGP graphics card working in tandem with a PCI graphics card, the BIOS has to determine which graphics card is the primary graphics card. Naturally, the default would be the AGP graphics card since in most cases, it would be the faster card.

However, a BIOS switch that allows you to manually select the graphics card to boot the system with is required. This is particularly important if you have AGP and PCI graphics cards but only one monitor. There's where the Init Display First feature comes in. It allows you to select whether to boot the system using the AGP graphics card or the PCI graphics card.

If you are only using a single graphics card, then the BIOS will detect it as such and boot it up, irrespective of what you set the feature to. However, there may be a slight reduction in initialization time if you set this feature to its proper setting. For example, if you only use an AGP graphics card, then setting Init Display First to AGP may speed up your system's booting-up process.

Therefore, if you are only using a single graphics card, it is recommended that you set the Init Display First feature to the proper setting for your system (AGP for a single AGP card and PCI for a single PCI card). But if you are using multiple graphics cards, it's up to you which card you want to use as your primary display card. It is recommended that you select the fastest graphics card as the primary display card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back