HELP! Win98 - Internet Connection missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just browsing the net as per usual, when i got one of those illegal error messages. it shut down all my windows and so i re-booted the lappie. when it re-booted, it said something about updating my profile.

now i cant access the internet from it AT ALL!

my connection shortcut is apparently missing, it just says: access to the specified device, path or file is denied.

i go to control panel / internet options / connections... all the information is gone. i went to activate the connection wizard and got this message:

Error Starting Program
The MSVCRT.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:RtGetNtVersionNumbers

someone please HELP!!!

NOW it;s saying:

RUNDLL

Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

::EDIT::

ok so i ran system file checker and it's telling me that the following file is corrupted:

File: setupx.dll
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

however when i tell it to restore the file, it says:

The file was not found. Verify you have selected the correct "restore from" location and try again.

ARRRGGGHHH! what does this mean?

Hi Carly, first a big welcome to the TechSpot Forum :wave:

Right first off it sounds like you have picked up some spyware/malware, Newdot is an addon, but if removed incorrectly can damage your PC making accessing the Net impossible, there is a link here (click the word here) that explains what it is in full.

Fortunately for you we have a couple of experts in this field and if you pop over to the security section all the help you need is in there.

Dont worry about this thread I'll get it moved for you into the security section by a MOD ( a poster who can move, edit posts etc).

Whilst that is sorted take a look at the following threads It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Regards

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Ididmyc600 is quite correct, newdot.net is nasty and needs to be got rid of. With that in mind, I have moved this thread to our Security and the web forum.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJt log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of carlyfromperth only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back