HELP!!! Windows wont let me format!!

By Rileyg
Mar 3, 2006
  1. So i tried to reformat my compuetr ysterday and i put in the original XP disk and clicked intsall windows. Then i get an error that says windowns cannot complete this task becasue your xp is a newer version that what is on the disk!! what can i do? also i tried pc restore on my dimension 2300 and it doesnt work at all i press ctrl f11 and nothing happens
  2. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

download a win98 boot floppy and use fdisk to delete your partition. Then when you try to install windows again, there'll be no newer version to get in the way.
  3. Rileyg

Rileyg TS Rookie Topic Starter

what if i download the win 98 boot floppy then xp doesnt install will i be stuck with win98 on my computer for an os??
  4. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

the win 98 boot floppy (aka win98 startup disk) loads a temporary DOS environment and a number of tools. Just use Fdisk to delete partitions and then reboot with the XPCD. Your computer will then have no partitions, and so XP will install if all is well.

Of course, if you have problems installing XP, that's the risk you take, but that would have to be a problem with your computer rather than anything else. you will NOT be stuck with 98.
  5. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

[edit] never mind :)
  6. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Posts: 441

check this for a sure-fire method to clean it up.
    here is the instructions:
    get a 98 floppy boot disk from
    start your pc with boot disk in the machine
    after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
    display partition(s) (if any)
    delete partition(s)
    create new partition
    format the hard disk
    turn pc off
    take win98 boot disk out
    put xp cd in the cd rom drive
    turn pc on
    get into bios
    go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
    save bios, exit.
    let xp install.
  7. Rileyg

How do i get into bios?
  8. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

don't mess with all that
    you should go to bios look for boot options
    on boot hit the delete key this gets you to bios
    or F2 on laptops and some other machines
    look for boot priority and make the cdrom or dvd the first then F10 to save and exit
    rebooting with the install disc
    where you see about installing and what drive highlight the drive and dlelete drive
    then reformat drive

and knitting and knitting
  9. Rileyg

Ok dude ill try what you just posted. And to the others who told me about the 98 boot disk.I tried it and when i get to the boot screen or whatever theres 3 reasons why i cant complete the setup. they say viruses on drive C and some other random stuff. Its lame
  10. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

The message about "viruses on drive C" sounds like the FDisk message you get when dealing with an NTFS disk. That your C: drive is missing.
    You have to ignore that and delete "non-dos partition".

Since you have XP, it makes perfect sense. But even still, booting off your XP CD and formatting from there is much easier.

And note, depending on your system. BIOS entry keys can also be ESC, Tab, F1, and even more! Just have to wack them all, I always say. You'll find it eventually, but you've only got a few seconds to find it, then you have to restart and try again.

Good luck
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.