HELP!!! Windows wont let me format!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rileyg

So i tried to reformat my compuetr ysterday and i put in the original XP disk and clicked intsall windows. Then i get an error that says windowns cannot complete this task becasue your xp is a newer version that what is on the disk!! what can i do? also i tried pc restore on my dimension 2300 and it doesnt work at all i press ctrl f11 and nothing happens

download a win98 boot floppy and use fdisk to delete your partition. Then when you try to install windows again, there'll be no newer version to get in the way.

what if i download the win 98 boot floppy then xp doesnt install will i be stuck with win98 on my computer for an os??

the win 98 boot floppy (aka win98 startup disk) loads a temporary DOS environment and a number of tools. Just use Fdisk to delete partitions and then reboot with the XPCD. Your computer will then have no partitions, and so XP will install if all is well.

Of course, if you have problems installing XP, that's the risk you take, but that would have to be a problem with your computer rather than anything else. you will NOT be stuck with 98.

check this for a sure-fire method to clean it up.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45246&goto=newpost
here is the instructions:
get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format the hard disk
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
turn pc on
get into bios
go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
save bios, exit.
let xp install.

don't mess with all that
you should go to bios look for boot options
on boot hit the delete key this gets you to bios
or F2 on laptops and some other machines
look for boot priority and make the cdrom or dvd the first then F10 to save and exit
rebooting with the install disc
where you see about installing and what drive highlight the drive and dlelete drive
then reformat drive

and knitting and knitting

Ok dude ill try what you just posted. And to the others who told me about the 98 boot disk.I tried it and when i get to the boot screen or whatever theres 3 reasons why i cant complete the setup. they say viruses on drive C and some other random stuff. Its lame

The message about "viruses on drive C" sounds like the FDisk message you get when dealing with an NTFS disk. That your C: drive is missing.
You have to ignore that and delete "non-dos partition".

Since you have XP, it makes perfect sense. But even still, booting off your XP CD and formatting from there is much easier.

And note, depending on your system. BIOS entry keys can also be ESC, Tab, F1, and even more! Just have to wack them all, I always say. You'll find it eventually, but you've only got a few seconds to find it, then you have to restart and try again.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back