TechSpot

Help with ad hoc network

By aminura
Aug 25, 2005
  1. Hey...
    Recently my wireless router stopped working due to some electrical trouble with it..so for the time being I was trying out ad hoc networking(My knowledge about this is really meager)..My desktop has Linksys wireless G PCI adapter and my laptop is centrino..both having win xp as operating systems.
    I went through some websites and was able to configure an ad hoc wireless network on desktop and gave it IP -- 192.168.100.1 and my laptop 192.168.100.2 and both were able to connect with each other.
    I have ethernet Internet connection..Is it possible for me to share Internet on both the computers simultaneously without connecting them with any wire or through wireless router..?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Yes, you can share your internet connection to ad hoc peers.

3. aminura

aminura TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your prompt reply..Can you please elaborate on how can that be done...

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Go to www.google.com
    In the search box type "ad hoc internet connection sharing" (sans quotes) and press enter.
    Read the dozens of guides that magically pop up.

5. tom_pearson

tom_pearson TS Rookie Posts: 103

Hmm, I'm sure there was a more friendly way of putting it.

Basically you will need to enable internet connection sharing on the computer that will be directly connected to the internet. Then the second computer can connect through it. This is quite a simple process. You can usually use the Windows XP network setup wixard to enable these settings.

Have fun!

6. aminura

aminura TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, It was with help of google that I started up with ad hoc networking but things were not working out.I did check the box against internet sharing on the computer to which the ethernet cable is connected but still I am not able to connect to the internet.. :(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.