Help with an old GATEWAY...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donlon

My 4 year warrenty ran out and i dunno i guess to get it running again would be nice because it has a lot of sentimental value to me... Well i tried reformatting the computer, and when im installing windows it sends back these errors that says that it cant write msyuv.dll or nic1394... etc, and then when i press escape to skip the file, it seems to continue to go through and then it might do the file unable to write a few more times and once its done it goes to the main windows setup screen and it has the welcoming and everything and all the sudden i get this air that says memory_management... I dont exactly think the ram is the problem because i have 4 sticks of ram in there that equal out to 512 and so if one goes bad i doubt the others would too... I had this problem for about a year and never tried to fix it, and like gateway sent me a new power supply and motherboard + CPU and still no luck... So my belief is the windows cd just sucks.. And it wont boot my windows pro cd so basically im SOL for right now with that computer... So if you please could help me fix it, it would mean alot..

yes

i have both Drivers Disk, and operating system disks.. I've Tried chkdsk /r chkdsk /f and chkdsk /p and all sorts of others... But i think maybe its cause the files are corrupted.
I have the list of files that refused to be copied.. And i know for a fact the hard drive isnt bad, because i put it in this disk and i set up windows pro, and it worked fine, but i couldnt slide it in my gateway cause it didnt work.. So right now im trying to get windows home working without getting either error 1:0x00000026 or error 2:0x0000008e and i tried pulling out sticks of ram but it wont work without all 4 ram sticks in... for some gay reason...
So look at my options--
-i have all the gateway install disks
-I have replaced both power supply and motherboard/cpu
-Hard disk hasnt gone bad... But the ram i dont believe should be the problem..
-Ram could be a problem but im not sure because all 4 shouldnt go bad, and ive tried putting all 4 in but im not sure why i have 4 cause 2 are samsung 256 and 2 are something i dont know...
-Warrenty has expired..
Please help me.. -Cameron

The files that cant be copied are....
1. msyuv.dll
2. nic1394
3. iyuv_32.dll
4. msh263.drv
5. ntkrnlpa.exe
and theres one more...
Files missing very on which reformat i do cause i have done already 15 reformats and still no luck...

well i cant even get into windows let alone run that program.... Well im getting all these errors when i install windows... I'm debating because like it shouldnt be bad memory slot because its practically mint condition motherboard used only for about a day, cause when i got it i tried to start it up along time ago and it still didnt work so i gave up... The moboard doesnt even have dust on it yet. So i really would like to fix it but its Rambus memory very expensive stuff but samsung has a lifetime warrenty :) but i dont know if it will resort to that yet.. :wave:
step 1---Im thinkin maybe i should put my WD Hard drive into my other computer and install windows on it...
step 2---Then switch it over and put in the windows cd and do a CHKDSK /r and a recovery maybe that will work?..
can any of you fellas give me your msn or aim cause i hate waiting 3 hours for a reply.. :bounce: -Cameron

k i just did it and it worked fine putting it in another comp... so before the welcoming set up i put it in the other comp and now i get some error like 0x00000A or something like that... but i tried going to recovery and it said i set a password even though i never did... so basically im not sure whats goin down... Could it be the cd is scratched so the cd rom has trouble reading it???? but the reason why my other comp works with the windows gateway cd's and formatting it because the cd rom is better than the other one??.. i think im trying to hide the fact that it might be a memory issue...

start troubleshooting with the basics. Remove everything except for memory, motherboard, and videocard, and floppy drive, Run memtest86.

if memory checks out, then add your hard drive. diagnose that.

your problems really sound like a memory issue. Are you sure you have the right type?
same CL, same freq? Does it match the recommended brands in your motherboard manual?

start over

Donlon said:
Well i tried reformatting the computer, and when im installing windows it sends back these errors that says that it cant write msyuv.dll or nic1394... etc, and then when i press escape to skip the file, it seems to continue to go through

time-out here. IF you really reformat the HD, then all files get wiped and there's nothing to protect anything. Total reformat requires that you BOOT from some start-up media (floppy or CD) because you can't do this while running software on the target HD.

Please understand, once you reformat a HD,
you must do a CELAN install (not a reinstall)
you require a MS CD (not the OEM recovery CD)

and everything now on the HD will be forever gone!

CAVEOT EMPTOR

i know mr joebeard pants.. i'm not an *****... when i say reformat i do a total FDisk, then install on windows disk... and for some reason it doesnt copy a few files... I know the Drill i have done it many times...
First i put in my drivers cd and delete all files its the FDISK command..
Second i put in the Windows Disk Click Enter then F8 then enter to install and during about 35% of the install i get about 6 files that cant be copied...
I hope its not the ram though... PC800 hehe rambus... But good thing samsung has a lifetime warrenty on those... But i dont want to deal with memory issues..... What do you guys recomend i do, just take out The Soundblaster Card, lan card, and all pci cards, but leave AGP, Memory (both the 256) the Hard Disk, Floppy, Cd-rom) i think its a cd reading error but i could be wrong..

Donlon said:
i have both Drivers Disk, and operating system disks..
I have the Windows OS home edition disk... Back when i got the gateway they never sent me recovery cds but drivers disk and OS disk

media issues?

Donlon said:
i know mr joebeard pants.. i'm not an *****...

mind your manners if you expect help. no one suggested anything like that.

you mention FDISK, I am now reassured as an expert you did a low-level, multi-pass format to ensure there are no bad blocks or clusters.

IMO, you should verify the CD before yelping on memory. A CD can get scratched or even created with I/O errors if not written with VERIFICATION.

btw, a list of causes for I/O errors include:

bad input media
corrupt data
bad target media
over heating during the process
bad controllers
defective cabling
unstable voltage to the processor

hope your day gets better :)

ok heres the deal and sorry...
I have had my gateway for 4 years ok and i had a 4 year warrenty, and i have replaced the motherboard once already and the power supply too... So basically i think those 2 are out of the question... The only things i think are related are the hard drive, CD, or memory.. All my ideas are towards the CD and the memory cause i put my hard drive into this computer and it worked fine... but on that computer it doesnt work... and for some reason on this computer the disk can copy all the files to the cd instead of all except 6 on the gateway... Good thing i have a lifetime warrenty on the ram though if thats the case, but if its the hard drive thats not that big of a deal, but i really dont think it is the hard disk... Maybe its the cd but i dont have any other friends that have the actual os cd besides me.. They just have recovery CD's...

Would you mind pressing the ENTER key at the end of a sentence?
That would make it much easier to read.

Fdisk again, and make 2 partitions, a large one up front and a small 2-3GB at the end.
Use a W98SE OEM bootdisk (www.bootdisk.com) and format in FAT32.
Format C: /s the first partition, and do a normal format D: on the small one.

When done, boot again from floppy, this time with CD-support option.
Copy the whole contents of that CD onto the small partition, using the xcopy command. For parameters, first type xcopy /?

Reboot withoout floppy. Then do the install from harddisk.
probably d:\i386\winnt where d: is that small partition.

i so appologize for pm'ing you...
I just read that just now.. HA..
Could you by any chance send me an email with more detail to it...
So far i have put in drivers disk in, then put FDISK
Next put in windows cd in and press enter to go to installation and then do a new partion, but how do i change sizes??
Next put in the boot disk and put format /s for the first one
how do i go about doing the format /s and where do i enter it in?
using xcopy command then Xcopy /?
then boot up and do d:\i386\winnt do i enter that in the recovery console??

You should FOLLOW instructions, not do your own thing!
Basically wipe your Harddisk by running FDISK and deleting existing partition(s).
If you then continue in my previous post after Fdisk again, all should be fine.

i am aware and so far i have the 2 partions...
I have C:\ as my big drive and D:\as the small one and for some reason when i format it doesnt want to you know format the small one...
so far i have only done up to formats and now im going to copy all files to the small drive..

ok now when i tried to install it gave me the blue screen with 0x000001a error.... i can never get away from those dang errors
and samsung is never there, if its a ram issue

im talkin with Gateway tech support because lifetime 24/7 tech support which is the only thing i have... on that dang gateway... But they are begining to think its a hard drive windows error, so maybe cd-rom scratch or hard disk is bad.. Right now there having me right zero's to the drive... Thx for you help, ill check back with you guys whenever i get the latest error..

I made some small corrections to the format commands in my first post.
You need to type in format d: for that second small partition.
You could use some Brasso copperpolish or Carpolish on the shiny side of that CD.
Rub around gently IN CIRCLES ONLY to remove the worst of the scratches. Don't press too hard. When done, rinse under the tap and dry with a lintfree cloth.
Then try copying those files again.

mind your manners if you expect help. no one suggested anything like that.

you mention FDISK, I am now reassured as an expert you did a low-level, multi-pass format to ensure there are no bad blocks or clusters.

did some one say something about zero's????

hay dude just as an after thought
I know that some times you don't have a choice in swapping hd's
and installing the os and swapping back just remember you are actually installing
(setting up)all the devices on....this will be easier the swappy may not be compatable with the swapper

i know i've done it 20 times successfull but that one time really messed things up

l8r

didnt work... It still says the same thing with an error like 0x000000a or something and like i dunno, i told gateway i thought it was my memory but they said no way, because the computer wouldnt start if it was my ram, they clain "the ram works together" so they said if one is broke, all would be broken... Theres 2 x 256 mb pc800 chips + 2 filler chips... so leaning towards cs read error...

yeah dude swapping the hard disk from one to the next didnt work... way different chipset, moving a Western digital off a pentium to be formated and worked on by an amd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back