Help With Backing Up Pc Data..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

Im Going to Re-Install a Diff Window XP Pro OS on my notebook PC, but i want to copy every Folder and File on it to my other PC's 500GB HDD for a Backup..
but I want to make sure that all the folders and files i copy over to it stay intact and don't get corrupted or anything during the transfer.. is there an easy way to get every single File & Folder on my current HDD successfully "transfered-copied & backed up" to this 500GB HDD on my other PC and have it check the backup to make sure every file is intact and not corrupted..??

BTW i have the 2 PC's Networked together VIA a direct Gigabit connection.
also how can i check my HDD to see exactly how many files and folders are currently on it..??

and are there any other precautionary steps i should know about or take before going threw with this..???
any recommended softwares..???

If as you say they are connected together, and there will be no external drive involved... then there is no chance of any corruption. Simply drag and drop!
But you do need to know what you want transferred... you cannot transfer system files like that and expect setting to change.... the things you should transfer are documents, music, videos, music. You will need to reinstall programs to configure their roots and files i.e: you cannot transfer "Program Files" folder and have all your programs installed on your other computer.

Hope this helps!

depends on how you want to make the backup. As a complete image of the HDD, which is compressed and depending on the program used won't be able to access it in an explorer type fashion or just straight copy & paste C:\My files >> E:\My files?

The image is good if you wish to perform a restore from it later on complete with a working OS, the folder to folder copy will be similar, although if you try and just copy and paste it back to a blank HDD and try booting with it you may run into trouble.

Usualy a backup software will have some tools to check/verify its work after its done.

So question remains, does "every folders and files" include the OS or just personal folders and my documents etc.?

Please be patient. This forum runs on charity of others..

well i just want to back up everything thats on my laptop PC to a folder on my other PC then install a diff OS on the Laptop and then go through everything i just backed up and weed out what i dont want, then copy whats left back to the laptop.
I want to reconfigure & reinstall all my Apps & Settings fresh again..
But im just a lil nervous about transferring my precious DATA back n forth, i dont want anything to get accidentally corrupted or deleted..!!!
so thats why i want something to make sure once everything has been transfered its still all readable and intact..!!!

In that case, since you're reinstalling the programs again, just use the old copy and paste to the new location. There really won't be any sort of data corruption unless the HDD has a problem or say the power or connection gets cut/problems (even thats pretty rare).

The only thing you'd find annoying is just the transfer time may be a bit long, depending on how you're sending the source. If you want, you can try to use SyncToy to make the copy across...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back