Help with BIOS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my name is Derek, this is my first post here at techspot and I apprechiate any help that is provided, from what I have seen techspot looks like a great and friendly place to get some help. :)

Okay here is my problem, I want to make sure that I have all the right bios settings that fit my hardware that I have, my computer does not seem to be running at its full potential but however I could be wrong. Everything runs fine, but I just want to make sure all the bios settings are correct.

I will tell you my system specs -

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: KT400-8235
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 335MB used, 2126MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Video Card: Radeon 9800 Pro video card
Mobo: Soyo KT-400 Dragon Ultra Platinum edition mobo.
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
PSU: Coolermaster extreme power 600W

I dont know if you guys need me to list my current bios settings or can you just tell me which settings I need to look for and make sure they are correct?

Thanks for the help, let me know if you need any more info.

Your bios settings would be fine set to default, and would not make your computer run any faster. It would however slow down your boot process if it is searching for floppy drives and not set to boot from your Hard Drive first. But won't make an incredible difference. You should be fine...

Optimizes defaults loads default of the MOBO correct, well what if some of my hardware exceeds the defaults and isnt set at the right settings then It will not run at full potential?

Like all those voltage settings, etc, I installed a new PSU do I have to change anything?

no. The motherboard voltages are monitored by it's chip controller. so there is nothing you worry about it, except if it has auto, leave it, if not, change it to auto or ignored.

THe hardwares are never made to be exceed the motherboard's specification. If it does, it just shut down mobo.

Default will not slow down your computer. You can mess with the voltages but you could fry your computer doing that.. I would leave all the voltage settings the way they are. Your new PSU will work at it's potential regardless of what the bios says. SOme Bios let you tweak your CPU multiplyer and memory settings but again that can fry your system. Here is a good guide to the bios. Just be careful and make one change at a time so you can undo it if it doesn't work..

http://thegoldenear.org/toolbox/windows/docs/bios/bios-config.html

Can you guys help me with tweaking my bios ? , i went to that website but I do not know what all those settings do but maybe you can tell me what I can tweak to make my computer faster?

The only thing that will speed up your computer, IF it works is the CPU multiplier and your cpu might not even let you mess with that setting. Do a search in Google or Yahoo for Overclocking for whatever CPU you have.. Nothing else will speed up your computer except adding more RAM..........Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back