Help with cooling my GPU down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a GeForce 6600GT, and my card has been consistently overheating, causing my computer to crash.

My idling temperature is ~65C and after running a game it ends up being right around 77C (if it doesnt crash before I can check it).

I'd like to bring the temperature down cool enough to keep it stable, but the problem is I have a mini-tower and it is very compact and poorly ventilated. I'm wondering if someone could recommend to me a cooling solution that would do the trick and what kind of temperatures should I be looking for to keep my card stable? Thanks for your help.

Honestly, 77c is not really that hot for a GPU (espically a high clocked one) Do not use the same scale as a CPU, GPUs can go much hotter and be stable. Are you sure that it is the temp of the card and not something else?

My 6200 overheated when I unlocked it to a 6600, I got a pci slot fan, but it actually made it worse. The reason being that the pci fan I got(there are different types, some may work well) draws air away from the gpu, while the gpu fan is trying to force air towards the gpu, which made them "fight" over which way air should go. My solution was to cut out a side panel blowhole over my gpu cooler in my side panel window. It blows on the cpu and lowered the temps significantly.

Still your temps aren't that bad, my 6200 was over 100C, at that level I got artifacts, and now it's much cooler 65-80C load(it's only like 25C if I don't unlock it to a 6600).

https://www.techspot.com/gallery/data/501/medium/2300window.jpg
There's my gpu fan.

Hi Webmaster.
I have a 6800 ultra and after playing F.E.A.R. for a couple of hours its temp is around 80C,and running with no problems... Are you sure there isn't something else wrong.
The NVidia thresshold on my card is 117C, so it can get pretty hot before it crashes!
Have you tried running 3D Mark? Whats youre CPU? Does your powersupply have enough juice?
See ya
Wacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back