Help with Directx 9.0c...Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am aware there are already many posts on this subject, but I feel my problem may be a little more unique!

Until quite recently I had Windows ME on my computer then yesterday I wiped it and loaded Windows XP home edition, everything was fine until it came to reloading my daughter's beloved sims game. Now everytime we try to load it it comes up with the following warning,

"Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

Now we've uploaded DirectX 9.0c from the Sims disc and we have a new graphics card so what's the problem?

And the really baffling thing is that before I wiped ME and loaded XP it worked fine!!

Please help a.s.a.p (I have a teenager on summer hols climbing the walls here!) Thanks very much in advance!

Cate Levade

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Would you please take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

You don`t say what graphics card you have.

I suggest you go to your graphics card manufacturers website, and download the latest drivers.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Sorry it's a ATi Asus Radeon A9200SE AGP

I think I've located the problem however on the DirectX Diag tool it says that DirectDraw Acceleration and Direct 3d acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration are uinavailavle even though i've visted my graphics cards sight and downloaded all updates.

All it says in the notes box No problems found. Thats a laugh.

You say you have a "new graphics card" i take that as you replaced the original one in the system.

If you did replace a video card in the system, did you physically remove the one you replaced, or was it an onboard video card.

One possibility is that your onboard video is conflicting with the DX diag, where as it sees 2 video cards and is 'for lack of better terms' getting confused.

Go into your system bios (typically F1 key or Del key) and disable the onboard video. ( to get into bios reboot your computer and start tapping on one of the above keys, depending on your motherboard)

it says that DirectDraw Acceleration and Direct 3d acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration are uinavailavle

This is usually a surefire indicator that the motherboard chipset and/or agp chipset drivers are either uninstalled or improperly installed.

If you know what motherboard you have, you need to download the motherboard chipset and/or agp drivers and install them, then possibly re-install the ATI Catalyst drivers of your choice (from ATI's website).

If you are unsure what motherboard you have, you can run dxdiag and it should yield insight which we can help you with. Just go to the start menu, select "Run..." and type "dxdiag" in the box and hit OK. Once DxDiag launches, hit the "Save All Information" button at the bottom, and once prompted- hit the "Desktop" button on the left and type "dxdiag" in the filename slot at the bottom.

You should then find a file DxDiag which you can open with notepad or other editor and see the top portion will list some useful information on the chipset, bios and other specifics of your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back