Help with disabling services in system config

Status
Not open for further replies.

katy24

Have this Ultra laptop (windows xp home sp 2)that suddenly booted to the BSOD. It would say it had shut down to avoid damaging the system...there would be various errors listed at different bootups...I went to safemode and ran a restore from as far back as I could go.....still booted to blue screen. I went to msconfig and chose to boot in diagnostic mode. The computer booted fine. So I went back and began enabling items at startup in the system tab. I have all of them enabled once more...I still have most of the things in the startup tab disabled.....the computer starts and seems to open all programs etc.......with the exception of.....my dial up internet connection won't work. When I try to connect, I get the blue screen again. Any advice would be appreciated
Kate

boot Safe Mode w/o networking. Get to the device mgr
(admin tools->Computer Mgmt->Device Mgr)

find the modem and UNINSTALL the driver.

reboot normally and it should be ok -- it may also reinstall the driver which
you should see as it goes.

regardless, use Start->Restart to test normal boot ....

post back your progress :)

I have all of them enabled once more...I still have most of the things in the startup tab disabled.....the computer starts and seems to open all programs etc..

I did this step (uninstall modem) for practice on my "working" dell computer......it found the modem when I rebooted, but it couldn't find the driver.....I had to dig out the cd......and I don't have the cds' for this laptop? The device manager says the modem is working ok -- I'm not questioning what you are saying.....I always had heard of uninstalling the drivers and letting windows put them back....in fact I almost tried that on this laptop.....but I knew I didn't have those cds' to find the driver if things didn't work out! Can you call Dell and get your discs replaced? the computer is legit, one owner abt 3 years old. but the owner swears they didin't get any discs when they purchased it.

the modem can't be shot if the device manager says it's ok--can it?? I wondered if just removing the dial up software and doing it all over again might help.....guess it couldn't hurt

thanks for all suggestions Kate

ok....I held my breath and uninstalled the modem.....rebooted and it put it back.....still no internet....went to safe mode with networking....tried internet.....got a message......."cannot load remote access communication manager service" error 711 configuration error....

ok....looked up this error.....got instructions as to what to do....my computer\manage\services and applications\---there were three services we restarted......still the blue screen at attempted dialup........grrrr feel like we are getting closer but don't know.....it still won't work....I found a microsoft critical update that "may" pertain to this.....but the laptop can't get online to update! still working on finding how I can download it to disc

Katy, instead of 'talking to yourself' as the moderator calls it- when you make several posts in a row-use the Edit button and add to that instead of a new reply. Mod must be busy tonight, but if you come back and find all these replies merged into the one post, that will be why.

As to your problems: please focus on just what the problems are. So far you have told us your get BSODs and error messages, but you didn't give the error message- not full one. You just launched in wanting to disable 'services in the system config'.

Okay, let's pin that down. Windows XP have a good diagnostic utility called the Event Viewer. It has logs of everything that happens on the computer> for the system and the applications and they are time coded. So by looking for the Error in the Event log that corresponds to the time of the problem, you will get more information about the problem, which helps to find the resolution:

Please look for Errors in the Event Viewer that are corresponding to the time of the BSOD and/or Error message:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

Please also tell us what security programs you have on the systems and if you have scanned with them recently.

this computer would not boot.....but when I went to system config and disabled things in the program and then the system folder, it booted.....so then I re-enabled them.....it booted fine....just the when you tried to connect to dialup and get on line you got the blue screen again...and that was with the 711 error...........at present I think it's fixed. there was a shortcut to the dialup connection on the desk top....everytime you clicked it you got the blue screen, computer shut down......but....when I went to the network folder and clicked on the dialup icon...it worked. I replaced the shortcut and it seems to work....
if more happens, I shall be back with more precise information.
I apologize for rambling.....I didn't realize how to use the edit option and just add to the post. duh
I find out lots of very useful information at this site.....thanks for putting up with me
Katy

I connected the computer to my fast connection and I have updated it and added avg virus scanner for my friend. thanks again

after all the updating this computer still does the same thing......it is online right now..through my router with a fast connection....but when you try to use the dial up connection it gives you the blue screen and reboots. it's doing it so fast now that I can't even see what is on the screen......but the information below comes from the event viewer, system....there is no error in the application log

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 5/22/2009
Time: 6:32:05 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CODY
Description:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 a9b23d2d, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 38 1000008
0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 30 eters c0
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 35 2c 20 000005,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 00000001
0040: 2c 20 61 39 62 32 33 64 , a9b23d
0048: 32 64 2c 20 30 30 30 30 2d, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

That error (with C000005) is almost always a hardware fault. Since it seems only to happen with the use of the modem, then clearly the dial-up modem is suspect. Is this modem built-into the motherboard? If so, there will not be a lot you can do except replace the motherboard if you are still under warranty.

Still being on SP2 is not so good, because it is now so far out of date, there is a potential for conflicts with much modern software such as anti-virus, other drivers for printers, browsers etc.

One thing worth trying is to boot into the bios and just leave it there for an hour or more. If it reboots itself or blue-screens, it indicates a failing motherboard.

If you really need a dial-up modem, there are loads and loads of cheap usb dial-up modems. Disable the onboard one in the bios if at all possible, otherwise in Windows, reboot and then install the USB one. If you know anyone who has access to PC hardware at work, you will often be able to source a USB modem as a gift - they were supplied with many HP pc's years ago, but never required. Getting a driver for XP may be a little tricky, but quite likely a Windows generic driver will install and work as soon as you plug it in.

.but when you try to use the dial up connection it gives you the blue screen and reboots.
And the Event Error #1003, Source System Error, Description: Error code 1000008e goes right along goes along with it:

This error point to faulty hardware or drivers. The hardware varies from modems, video cards, USB device to memory or sound cards. Sometimes it proves to be hardware that it is not compatible with Windows XP. (Source: EventID.net)

Now you have three 'helpers' point you to a modem problem:
1. Shortcuts can become corrupt. Replacing them handled "that" problem.
2. Modems can go bad. In you case, it appear to be the modem handling the dial up connection.

Call the ISP and have them check the modem.

Second guessing everything we say is a waste of time- yours and ours. You need to see if our help resolves the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back