TechSpot

Help with DSL MODEM

By Raffizzz
Jan 9, 2007
  1. Hi there, after having my dsl modem( )http://www.westell.com/content/sales/517_Datasheet.pdffor over 8 years,(with sbc/At&t yahoo dsl) it started giving up on me. I have to restart the modem couple of times a day to get connected to the internet.

Please help me find a good modem, I'll be running a router and voip on it.

Thank You
    Raffi

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

do you own your modem, or was it leased to you by your ISP? many ISPs rent their equipment out, and will consequently replace it free of charge.

3. Raffizzz

Raffizzz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

I own it, when i called yesterday, the rep told me that there was 1 year warranty on it, but that expired 7-8 years ago, at this point i don't know what other steps to take besides buying a new modem..

Any suggestions ???

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

8 years is a good run for any modem. Your ISP should be able to provide you with a replacment free of charge, just give them a call

5. N1Hawk

N1Hawk TS Rookie Posts: 248

I currently work for an ISP in Canada, If you got the modem from the ISP and you are renting it, the ISP should be able to provide you with a replacement modem no matter how long you have had the previous modem. If the Tech agent on the phone does not help you, ask for the supervisor and give him a piece of your mind! :0

6. Raffizzz

Raffizzz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

Thanx guys, my isp will send me a new one. I have to pay for it now, but I'll get my money back with mail in rebate.....

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

That's the way it should be... My Cable Internet ISP gave me a free modem replacment. I have been with them for 6 years

8. N1Hawk

N1Hawk TS Rookie Posts: 248

The ISP I work for gives away a free cable modem if your dies.

I've just replaced a modem that died and the customer has been with us for more then 15 years and no cost to him!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.