TechSpot

HELP WITH EMACHINES t2958

By rapzkilla
Jul 19, 2007
  1. Ok hi guys

I will appreciate any help i can get, because i am lost. lol This is what's happening, i went to a friends place to fix his emachines. as soon as i heared emachines, i said "ohhhh crap" well at first they was no sign of life on this emachines, so i changed out the power supply . The motherboard lights up fine, like it is receiving power. I can tell that the mobo is ok but when i push the power button, nothing happens. I have also tried taking out the batery on the mobo for 30 seconds. I also took apart the computer and tried powering it on, by myself manually but still no results. lol is the mob dead or what in gods name is going on. Oh ya and through my quest to find answer, i also unpluged the power button pins and re-aranged them but yup, that didnt work. am not an expert, so obviously i must be doing something wrong. THANKS IN ADVANCE>>!!!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

You MUST repalce both the power supply and the motherboard. The eMachines restore discs won't work with the new motherboard (heck, they might not have even worked with the original board) If you are familiar with building or repairing computers, you may as well upgrade your friends eMachines while you are at it... New processor, memory and such

3. rapzkilla

rapzkilla TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 53

yah true that

well thats true. however he rather buy a new computer than spend maybe up to 600 fixing this one. well at first i thought i might have hooked up the power supply wrong but, i dont think its possible because the motherboard lights up fine. So does this mean the motherboard is fried?

4. Tmagic650

You can upgrade this for around $200 if you are careful. The only other cause of this besides a motherboard may be a fried modem, video card or NIC card. If you have none of these installed, it has to be the motherboard. Remember it is possible that the "bad" motherboard has taken out the power supply once more

5. rapzkilla

damn

wow so even though it lights up, its probably taken it out. well thats the motherboard i need http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d845gvsr/index.htm . i have never installed an actual motherboard before. This must involve taking teh computer apart pretty well huh. lol not to mention, i would like to buy one with the processor already on it, to avoid installing it myself

6. ryantruck

ryantruck TS Rookie Posts: 79

Did you try shorting the pins where the power button plugs in ? and are the wires the same on the old PSU as they are on the new one ?

7. just-sumguy

just-sumguy TS Rookie Posts: 25

I had a similar problem with my Emahines T2642 a couple weeks ago. The power supply and or mother board went out, completly dead wouldt do anything. Thanks to the help of the individuals here I was able to purchase a new mobo from newegg.com for $64.00 and a new 350w antec PSU for about $38.00. I was able to swap the CPU, RAM, Modem, and hard drive back onto the new mobo with out a problem. My main problem was not having my data backed up and not having a version of XP other than the oem/emachines copy that came with the computer. So basically I got a new hard drive installed Xp and slaved my old hard drive off of the new one. I would say that installing the new mobo shouldnt be a problem especally if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, just be carefull handeling the components and take your time.

Oh ya, dont forget the silicone gell/lube that goes between the cpu and the heat sink...if you got one.

8. rapzkilla

thank guys. yeah am pretty sure installing the new mobo should be fine. however i decided to save him soem trouble and have him get a new compouter because emachines are crap anyways. He will do better off with a new hp computer , with a mobo that supports 3200 512 RAM memory . This way i can install it on the new one and hence spead up the computer. Removing vista will not be a problem at all.

9. Tmagic650

"Oh ya, dont forget the silicone gell/lube that goes between the cpu and the heat sink...if you got one"...

It is not called silicone gel/lube. It is a thermal heat transferring compound. Arctic Silver is one of these thermal compounds

10. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

if you put silicon gel on a cpu core you'll end up with one melted cpu :D

plus you NEED at least a heatsink to take the heat off the cpu because other wise it'll destroy itself within seconds

11. rapzkilla

wow , you see i never knew that. lol i have alot to learn

12. Daveskater

don't worry, there's always things to learn when it comes to pc's ;)

compared to some of the people here i'm still a noob haha

the thing is they keep bringing more and more new stuff out so you never stop learning stuff

13. rapzkilla

yah

meaning you can never know it all.

14. Daveskater

exactly, you can know a lot of stuff but pc's just keep on growing so there's no end to it really :D

15. Tmagic650

After working with computers and electronics for the last 37 years, I'm pretty good at keeping up with technology. Compared to the computers built in the 70's todays technology is really simple... Google can provide you with answers to most of your questions, on just about any subject

16. tribeliker

tribeliker TS Rookie

hi ho hi ho

I'm off to replace a mobo in a t2958 tomorrow. I've already replaced the PSU. You'd think they'd package the PSU and MOBO together in one package. LOL

17. Tmagic650

Good tribeliker,
    just keep in mind to install the Operating System fresh. Don't try to use any eMachines restore discs with a different motherboard than the board originally supplied with this model

18. tribeliker

tribeliker TS Rookie

Thanks Tmagic

Thanks for the tip.

When I got to the customer location, the wrong MOBO was was sent by the compnay capturing warrenty work. I don't want to disparge the company so I won't mention it's name.

The one they sent was for a T2862. The customer's model is a T2958. I have all the documentation from the original call. "Tech Support" just did not read it and assume an all emachine are the same. Go figure.

There is a difference. The original does not have video integrated. The one sent did. Tech support wanted me to remove the rear bezel to make the board fit. He says that the warrenty doesn't cover "cosmetic" work as long as it works. LOL. Then there would be a big whole in the back of the box. Jeez.

Customer was adament about not wanting to buy a vid card (I don't blame them). After 3 more calls to this "company", I finally got to a techie who understood what I was talking about and now they are order the correct MOBO.

BTW...has anyone ever delt with PARTpoint out of Denver? They were the supplier. Just wondering.

"and the beat goes on"

Tribeliker

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.