TechSpot

Help with HIJACK THIS and task manager inop.

By lkwdguy74
Apr 19, 2006
  1. Hi there! Could someone PLEASE help me? I have major problems with my XP PRO OS right now. I'm figuring it's a virus. I would like to attatch my HIJACK THIS logfile for your perusal. Thanks for reading this.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

TrueInstallSBC.exe
    DivXPlayerInstaller.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {387EDF53-1CF2-4523-BC2F-13462651BE8C} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {576EB0AD-6980-11D5-A9CD-0001032FEE17} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {930E4DE1-973D-42D6-BF6E-6788E06BD003} - (no file)

O4 - Global Startup: svchost.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Client to Monitor &1 - C:\WINDOWS\web\AOpenClient.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Client to Monitor &2 - C:\WINDOWS\web\AOpenClient.htm

Fix all 016-DPF entries.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files(if there).

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\svchost.exe

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. Computer noob

Computer noob TS Rookie Posts: 22

You said to delete things with svchost.exe at the end. When i open task manager, i see 5 of those.... 3 coming from SYSTEM, 1 coming from LOCAL SERVICE, and the last one coming from NETWORK SERVICE. Should i be endng these processes?

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

NO: I didn`t say to delete things with svchost.exe at the end.

I said to delete this specific instance of svchost.exe.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\svchost.exe

Those instructions were for lkwdguy74 only.

If you`re having a problem with viruses/malware etc. Go HERE and follow all the instructions exactly.

Then, open a new thread in this forum and post a fresh HJT log. Only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.