Help with home network connections (keep losing connection)

Status
Not open for further replies.

warehouse678

I'll try to make this as clear as possible. I have two computers, (upstairs and downstairs) both were connected to the internet through a D-link four port router with no problems, then all of a sudden the downstairs comp. started to lose it's connection off and on. I had replaced the computer with a newly built one (not because of this problem, just an old computer) Now I'm thinking that this new downstairs computer should have no problems and should connect fine, it did for a couple of days. Then, it started to have the same problems as the old computer did. It would lose it's connection with the network.

My upstairs comp. works fine no problems at all. I tried replacing the wires, switching the ports, put in a new NIC, and still have the same problem. The only time it connects is when Internet cable is connected directly into the computer and not through the router. My thinking is it's the router but it connects the upstairs comp. fine and the ports all work. If someone out there could help me out with this because I've done all that I can think of except replacing the router (which I want to be my last option) it would be of much help. If you need me to clear anything up because it looks confusing I'll try my best again :) Thanks so much for any help.

Joe

I am having a similar problem except that I have about six computers and the connection on some computers are inconsistent.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the direction of the current.

I formerly had two linksys boxes with AC current and I was having the disconnect problem frequently with one particular computer.

I switched to another box for which the current is DC12 volts and I now have a disconnect problem with a different computer.

I am wondering why there are two ports for the link from one box to another and since I know nothing about the way electrical currents work. I am wondering if it would make sense to connect a second cabel to the second link? I don't know if I am confusing things by using one box with AC current and another with DC current so I am in wild guessing territory here.

When I lose a connection taking a cable connection out and putting it back again will re-establish the connection - or sometimes disconnecting the power source to the main hub is required.

If it helps with your internet connection problem, I am using a freeware proxy called analogX, which is very simple to configure and works really well.

Also, in connecting the computers, one sometimes has to connect one computer at a time and then restart, but that doesn't help with the problem of losing connections.

Samstoned said:
post router and nic config
so we can see what may need changed
Sorry but not sure what you need for that? But the NIC is an onboard VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet, and I've tried adding a seperate PCI NIC with still no luck. The router is your basic D-Link 4 port router, I reset it back to factory settings so everything is at it's default position. I don't know if that helps but if you need more info I'll post it. I'm still at a loss as to why a computer that is downstairs will not work when connected to the router. :(

For all it is worth the computer that I have problems with is a shuttle motherboard with an on board VIA Rhine lan. The particular mother noard has the onboard lan but no connector for a cable so I use a Linksys PCI network card.

You can enable or disable the onboard lan in the bios but it doesn't seem to make any differenc eon that particular computer.

I switched positions on the network with a different computer and after that the computer with the Via onboard lan didn't have access to any other computers at all.

That's when I started wondering about current directions.

The computer was also switched from one hub to another.

I am thinking of moving it back to see if I get some action out of the lan again but I haven't gotten around to that.

THe two lan connectors use different addresses.

Well I couldn't figure anything else out, so i broke down and went out and got another router (Belkin 4 port) It seemed to fix the problem. I'm still bewildered at the whole situation but I guess as long as it's fixed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back