Help With Home Network (Running Zonealarm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Computer running xp/pro with sp2
1 Computer running xp/pro with no service pack
Both computers are running Zonealarm (not free version)
Cat5 cable
Cable Modem connected threw Usb on computer 1

Rite well i'm totally stumped at the moment with setting up my network, i have set it up to the point where both computers can file share and see each other threw network connections and can both ping each other with no packets lost at all.

Now when comp 1 has Zonealarm enabled the Comp 2 cannot connect to the internet but when its disabled it can, Now i know this mean Zonealarm is the problem which leads me to part where i cant work it out i've tried everything i know to my knowledge with no success.

Comp 1 Ip (192.168.0.1) Subnet (255.255.255.0)
Comp 2 Ip (192.168.0.2) Subnet (255.255.255.0)

I tried adding Comps 2 ip into the Firewall>Zones on Comp 1 Zonealarm and still no success with comp 2 connecting to the net :(. I also added comps2 subnet details into comps1 zonealarm and still no success..

Anyone have any ideas?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I could be wrong here, but it runs in my mind that Zonealarm asks during install, whether you`re on a network etc.

It might be worth your while, uninstalling and reinstalling Zonealarm on both machines and looking at the install options carefully.

If that doesn`t help, then I have no further suggestions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Are you using windows connection sharing? If so, it's an absolute pain and never seems to work for very long if at all.

i'm not to sure what you mean by windows connection shareing? i setup the computers myself using tcp/ip setting on network cards as i'm sure all know how to do..

And on the cable modem i enabled internet connection sharing.

And as i have mentioned it seems to be something with Zonealarm on computer 1 stopping computer 2 from connecting to the internet because when i close zonealarm down it has not problem connecting to the internet..

Hello Scottyb,

To clarify, if I understand you correctly, you're not using a router? and you are setting this up to ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) from Comp 1 to comp 2? Correct? If So, Then plz post so... In ZoneAlarm ( I assume your using Security Suite) under firewall tab, near the bottom right corner of page there is a "Advanced" button. You have to set Comp 1 to ICS Gateway, and Comp 2 as client of ICS Gateway... If you are running your Cat5 from cable Modem to Comp 1, then to comp 2. However, I really don't recommend this configuration of you're network. If possible, Invest in a newer model Linksys Router, and don't rely on ZoneAlarm solely for your network security. And ICS networking really is dangerous when file sharing between 2 computers NOT behind a router are involved.

If you decide to take my advise, I'll be glad to asist ya in configuring the network behind the router & using ZoneAlarm to protect your systems behind it. It a easier setup that way, in my opinion. As Safer!

I use Zone Alarm Suite too, and this worked for me....

Turn Firewall to Medium, {firewall, Main} then click on the Custom tab, look down the list for "Block incoming NetBios...." and UNtick it.

I have File and Printer Sharing happening, and can play games over a LAN.

If on the off chance that doesn't work for you, you can give your PC's static IP's and add them to the Trusted Zone.

Yes, I agree... I have been using ZoneAlarm for 5 years+, and I feel it is the best firewall out there on the market... However, They teach us in networking schoools that your network is ONLY as good as your weakest link in the network. That said, there's no way I would rely solely on a software firewall to protect my network systems w/o having a hardware firewall (router) to protect me from the Internet.

P.S.>>> Norton's isn't worth the time or money you invest to protect your systems! LOL

Sorry, just being a little opinionated this morning!!! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back