Help with home networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach203

Is it possible to create a home network that doesn't require internet access and that can share files and printers.

this is my setup

Computer-router and printer (not wirelss integrated) XP

laptop (wifi card of course) Vista

computer with compatible wireless usb XP

i have all of them connected to the network, just can't get files shared and printer working.

the systems would be wired like
Code:
 (your isp) modem --- systemA --- systemB
for a wired connection using ICS on systemA. System-B could deny Internet access by closing ports 25,80,110,143,443

The wireless connection to systemB requires an Access Point or a Wireless router
to be added like
Code:
(your isp) modem --- systemA ---w/router ..... systemB
or
(your isp) modem --- systemA 
              +
              + --- w/router  .....  systemB

I assume you really wish to DENY systemB internet access (eg: kids system)

i don't need to deny internet access because i have dial up. I just need help integrating a wired and wireless network. for know i am trying to setup just file sharing. Does that require a highspeed conection?

Dial up?
WXP has a built in help for networks, and they do not need any internet. Look at all the material in My Network Places. Setting up three computers is quite easy. After three, it becomes a lot more complex.
There are also several free info places online... Be sure you fully understand the rules for setting up a network... or get Networking for Dummies from the library.

okay i've tried to set it up my self. i created a workgroup. then when i try to acces the other computers on that workgroup it says i don't have permission. i also don't know where the folders are because one is vista and the other two are xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back