Help with Installing XP on Seagate HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 320 GB Seagate and a Windows XP install disk. I make it up to the screen where it asks me to specify additional drives or disks and such. So I pop in the CD seagate gave me and it wont work. I go on and chat with a guy and I need a Floppy disk from my computers manufacturer or some none sense. Can somebody please shed some light on the situation?

Thanks Erik

Is the Seagate hard drive a SATA hard drive and are you talking about installing the SATA/RAID controller drivers through the F6 procedure during Windows installation?

mailpup said:
Is the Seagate hard drive a SATA hard drive and are you talking about installing the SATA/RAID controller drivers through the F6 procedure during Windows installation?

Yes and Yes

First, do you have the drivers? They are usually found on the motherboard driver CD and the latest versions can be downloaded from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

If you have the drivers, a floppy drive is needed to install them with the F6 procedure since Windows will only recognize an internal floppy. The motherboard manual usually explains the procedure to create a SATA/RAID floppy. It is not necessarily as simple as copy and paste. If you don't have a floppy, you can burn a slipstream CD from the Windows CD and the appropriate SATA drivers. I've never done that myself since I always use the floppy drive method. However, if you google for how to make a Windows slipstream CD with SATA/RAID drivers, you should find several sites that explain how to make one.

Edit: If this is a manufactured PC like from HP, Dell, etc., the SATA/RAID drivers can usually be found at their websites. You go to the motherboard manufacturer's website if it is a custom built PC. You know, like if you built it yourself.

Thanks for the help man. I might give Dell a call tomorrow to see if they could send me that floppy. If not I'll try the slipstream CD...Its my only hope.

Try without the drivers, most SATA drives will be detected just fine by thte XP install provided you're not running the drives in RAID mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back