Help with integrated soundcard problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I need some help! Basically, I have a motherboard: Foxconn Socket 754 3000+ Motherboard bundle 760GXK8MB-RS with Athlon 64 3000+ CPU and CMA-K8-2B Fan with an integrated sound card (RealTek Ac-97 Audio). My little brother decided he wanted to download a virus, so having rebooted windows, the audio didn't work! I thought I'd try reinstalling it from the device manager, once I uninstalled it, there's no way iteven recognises anything apart from codecs! I've tried installing the drivers via the cd, but I'm pretty much stuck!

Any ideas at all what this could be? I'm not brilliant at all with computers, so help would be seriously appreciated! I think I might need a new soundcard, but if so, how would I go about installing it etc?.. Thanks

Is it possible that little brother changed anything in the BIOS? I ask only that it is possible to disable an on-board card in there.
I suggest you boot into safe mode (F8) on boot and then clear all sound card drivers from the device manager. Then reboot and windows should reinstall the drivers once you provide the motherboard driver CD.
Let us know how you get on.

1.make sure on-board audio is disabled in bios
2.delete sound card from device manager-right-click, un-install (make sure you check the box that says uninstall driver also)
3.re-boot your system
4.cancel out of windows is installing device driver screen
5.dis-able anti-virus
6.install driver
7.re-boot system

I've already uninstalled the sound card, all that's shown are the codecs. I haven't tried disabling it in BIOS: can anyone provide me with a quick step by step for this? The virus is definately not there anymore, and little brother has NO idea about BIOS! It's weird, last night, I tried it again, but to no avail. Shouldn't windows automatically recognise that there's no sound card? Thus try reinstalling one? Also, on the driver CD, when I try installing the Audio driver files, at about 80% (ONLY for the audio files) it says it's encountered a problem and has to close.. If I do need another sound card, how do I know which is compatible with my system, and how on earth would I install it?!

Thanks for all your help!

1.Do you have any sound at all?
2.Do you have a physical PCI card or on-board sound software?

post what's on the driver cd

Nope, no sound! Jus a beep here and there (from the computer)

It's an integrated sound card-on board.

Also the driver files are for the RealTek Audio AC-97, and the details of the driver aren't giben, although it does also download AtlRack?!

You do not have a soundcard. It is software. Repeat all the steps I posted before and in addition:
Go to the control panel and uninstall the Realtek program before re-booting.

How did you get rid of the virus? Have you read any of the replies that you got?

Sorry, this may be a silly question but by re-booting do you mean just restarting the computer or re-installing windows? Yup, have read the replies, got rid of it with an anti-virus programme-I mean it pretty much cleaned one of my hard drives so it all had to be formatted anyway, I was on holiday when it happened, but from what my siblings have said, it was a Trojan. Thanks for your help

www.realtek.com.tw <<< go on that and then select downloads at the top then choose ac'97 audio codecs and download that should work if not go back on realtek and download the high defination audio codecs

and yes re-booting means restarting your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back