Help with Language Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirei Blossom

Okay, I used to be able to read webpages with Korean/Japanese characters just fine, but then I did a system format and now when I go to a korean site, a popup box appears saying 'download korean language pack.' The last time I did a system format, clicking 'ok' on this popup would download the lanugage pack, but this time when I clicked 'ok', it said that I need to insert the windows xp home edition cd. Well, I don't have this cd because my computer came preinstalled with Windows XP and they gave me no Windows XP CD :rolleyes:

So what do I do? I tried looking around Internet Explorer's site and found a korean language pack dated 2001 but it didn't say it would work in Windows XP. I downloaded and installed it already but it only fixed a few characters and the rest are still gibberish. So I uninstalled that pack. Now what do I do?

Help please!

If you didn't receive a Windows CD with your Windows-preinstalled computer then you were cheated by the computer manufacturer. Most likely they put a pirated version on your computer. Ask them for a CD - they have to give you one.

I can't do that because since I purchased the computer, I've moved between countries and anyway, my computers 3 years old now! I ordered it from the Compaq website, I wouldn't think they'd cheat, would they?

Isn't there any other way without having to have the CD? Last year when I reformated, I could install the language pack without the CD..

And there was a Korean Language pack on microsoft's webpage, but it was a few years old and probably not compatible with Win XP. I tried it anyway, and it fixed up half of the characters..

Just borrow a Windows XP CD from someone and copy the i386 folder to your HD.

*sigh* I would've done that already if I could.. but there's nobody around who has that particular CD.

*is sort of disappointed* aren't you guys supposed to be tech experts? :p Just kidding.

What happens if you right-click on an IE window then choose "Encoding" then "More" ? Can you choose the missing language there ?

Blech, most of the links want me to install the Win XP CD. -.-'' I guess its hopeless after all.

Well, then, is there any chance of me just being able to get the Korean fonts, such as Batang, BatangChe, Dotum, Dotum Che, Gulim, Gulim Che, Gungsuh, Gungsuh Che, etc. Because I'm not viewing anything written in Korean characters. It's just a Korean site with English characters.

Huh, I don't know what happened. But all of a sudden, the problem fixed itself! I added and installed nothing extra.

Okay, last week, I was trying to change the 'encoding' option in IE to Korean, but it wasn't working. Now it is.. strange.. Anyway, thanks everyone for your help ^_^ I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back