Help with mmc.exe error..some administrative tools in win2k missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
In win2k pro, when I go to defrag, I get an error, mmc.exe.... Looking at the computer management console, under storage, disk defrag, logical drives and the section Removable storage are missing. Further the help fucntion on the console crashes. But other functions work fine.

I did a chdsk (complete)- no problem. I did sfc /scannow - no fix. Checking the registry compared to another win2k registry finds missing snapit entries in my registry. When I tried adding snapinin entries to mmc, it failed again. Norton antivirus finds no problems, there is no spyware and my hijack file is religiously clean.

I need to repair or reinstall the administrative tools, but can't locate a copy of the msi needed for win2k. The file I looked for is adminpak.msi, but I only find for winXP and the server edition of win2k. It won't work.

Any thoughts, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rslevine said:
In win2k pro, when I go to defrag, I get an error, mmc.exe.... Looking at the computer management console, under storage, disk defrag, logical drives and the section Removable storage are missing. Further the help fucntion on the console crashes. But other functions work fine.

I did a chdsk (complete)- no problem. I did sfc /scannow - no fix. Checking the registry compared to another win2k registry finds missing snapit entries in my registry. When I tried adding snapinin entries to mmc, it failed again. Norton antivirus finds no problems, there is no spyware and my hijack file is religiously clean.

I need to repair or reinstall the administrative tools, but can't locate a copy of the msi needed for win2k. The file I looked for is adminpak.msi, but I only find for winXP and the server edition of win2k. It won't work.

Any thoughts, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I had a similar problem after a brandnew installation of Windows 2000.I was able to fix the problem by creating a folder.
c:\temp
go in my computer
c:
and their create a new folder and name it temp
Hope this help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back