TechSpot

help with mobo

By theman078
Jul 19, 2003
  1. I've got a fried mobo, I don't know the brand or model, so it poses a problem replacing it... Here's some specs... It is running a 1.4 ghz T-Bird and has 2 DDR and 2 SDRAM slots, etc, etc. I have 3 pictures of this mobo... If anyone can identify the mobo, or find any other mobo that will replace it (and fit in the case) PLEASE help me out.... The link below contains 3 pictures of the mobo.

http://kgb.emuunlim.com/misc/mobo.html

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

The only mobo I can think of off hand that had 2 DDR (pc2100) and two sdram slots is the ecs k75SA. the board is still available on the net.

as far as replacing it you shuld be able to find a good deal on a via KT266 or a KT333 mobo both will work fine with your 1.4 GHZ Tbird. of course neither will work with sdram so if you arent allready using DDR and you dont want to upgrade to faster memory then you should look around for another ECS K75SA.

3. theman078

theman078 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the help, I am using DDR currently, so that helps...

thanks again

what website could I pick one up at ?

4. dani_17

dani_17 TS Rookie Posts: 146

By the way your motherboard looks, your fried board may be one from PC Chips (www.pcchips.com).

I've seen lot's of em and lot's of em with problems. The chipset's heatsink reveals your mobo from being from that company.

5. iss

I would highly recommend Newegg there are reputable, great prices and fast delivery.

www.newegg.com

6. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

Well agreed, it is really a PCChips Motherboard. By the way, have a look out gor numbers printed in white or other colours, they maybe the model no for you motherboard.

7. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

I also have a K7S5A, yours is the same as mine. So your motherboard is an

ECS K7S5A

8. Dantrag

Dantrag TS Enthusiast Posts: 135

i wouldnt get the same mobo get a nforce2 or kt400 mutch better for upgading your pc and will take a t-bird without probs will take your memory too. i recommend the asus A7N8X great mobo :D

9. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Good suggestion, I'd do the same, however we dunno if your got the $$$ ;)

10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,606   +287

I smell chips....

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/product/M830Lv31b.html

But I wouldn't get the same board as a replacement. Take this horrid catastrophy as a chance to do a bit of an upgrade and get a nice nForce2 board with great onboard sound.

11. iss

arris is right dont go for the same board. the first K7s5A boards had good reviews but later revisions were reprted to have problems.

12. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

iss I disagree strongly. I would like to see reports of this.

I myself own 2 ECS K7S5A Pro motherboards, the final revision, have purchased four in total (built two systems for friends) and have helped several other friends build systems with this board. It was mostly attractive due to the extremely low cost (only $35 brand new now) and functionality (supports up to 2600+, USB 2.0, UDMA100, AGP 4x, et cetera) it offered compared to other boards of similair prices.

I have never had a problem with these boards even under fairly torturous conditions. They work well and have been very stable for me.

For raw performance, they aren't exactly cream of the crop - But for the price you cannot go wrong. I'm currently using an AXP 2000+ in one, and I simply adore it.

13. Dantrag

Dantrag TS Enthusiast Posts: 135

but you'll be better of with a new board if you can afford it :D

14. iss

here is a quote from the hardware guys site.

I have found Hardwareguys.com to be one of the better no B.S. sites. also I visit several tech boards and I see alot of HELP postings about computers freezing up or acting strange and a large percentage of those folks having problems are using K75SA boards.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.