Help with motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i was told my motherboard is broken by the computer shop, it is an ASRock Alive NF7G - HDready... all i know it is a sata hard drive on my pc , so i was wondering where to get a new one but cant find anywhere, so im looking for an alternative, could anyone advise me on which would be compatible with the above NF7G motherboard as im unsure and dont want to waste money .....or does it realy matter what motherboard i get from ASRock....

Where do you live? And what do you do with your pc?(play games, work...etc) And is your motherboard really broken? What are the symptoms?

i live in catterick, north yorkshire, the symptons were that it kept shutting down last week, then now i turn it on there is no out put to screen, i took it to the computer shop and he said it was my mother board as there is power going in , the fans are working but there is no out put.
i play games and my wife works from home on the internet gaming sites as a supervisor, i can get the same mother board for around £40 brand new but they are currently out of stock,, was wondering if it matters on which one i buy and that all my drives and stuff will work on it,

Yes it does matter, the ALiveNF7G-HDready supports a type of processor and RAM...etc and I see that it has Integrated graphics... do you use integrated graphics card or do you have a PCI-e x16 one? Before I recommend you a new motherboard... can you list you system specs, namely, processor, HDDs, RAM...etc.

Hi RICK,
one thing before Jawshh get you a MB recommendation, when you say that its 'out of stock' is that temporary, or have they discontinued it? reason I ask is that unless you get the identical motherboard, you are going to have to do one of the following.
1)do a clean install of your OS (requires windows CD)
2)do a repair install (requires Windows CD)
3)run 'sysprep' so your current install will work with new hardware.(not always an option)

the reason for this is that your current install is tied to your current hardware (motherboard etc) and now has machine specific drivers and settings, hardware identifiers, if you will. and if you do not have, or did not get the windows disc with your computer, it can be problematic. or you will have to purchase a new copy of windows. just something to keep in mind :)
BTW, welcome to Techspot!

no no! LOL your good, just wanted to throw that reminder in there :)
just something that tends to get overlooked, then folks get a big $150 surprise at the end when it wont boot.

haha. i thought i'll help some people so that the "newcomer" thing doesnt appear under my name. lol. And i think you helped me improve my knowledge on hardware. hehe

hi again, firstly i do have the original copy of windows xp, as for the spec of the computer im unsure, i know its ddr2 ram , dual core am2 4200 64 bit pc nvidia hdtv, but i removed the cpu and heat sink and my son has bent the pins and broken the blades on the fan aswell, things getting worse, so now i need the motherboard bundle with a cpu and heatsing, please help i have looked on ebay and got some im watching,, asrock bundles and they have a cpu and heatsink+fan with them, please send recomendations,,,cheers so much guys for all your help....

hi again, ok this is the item im looking at to get my wifes pc back up and running,its on ebay as a bundle (Asrock AM2 Motherboard Bundle +Athlon 5000+ 64 X2 2GB) item number 330354147897. am i correct to say if i bought it all i would have to do is connect the cpu with that cooling gel to the heat sink and fan then connect all my drives and leads and psu then install windows to the c drive again, on a seperate partition . and it will work ok yes or no ? just another thing i havent added any thing to it apart from another dvd drive, that is it so when you ask about graphics i havent a clue m8, i dont see a gtaphics card so i take it , it is intergrated, but im still unsure, please let me know if i should buy the above off e bay as it has all the stuff i need, heatsink fan cpu and mother board,, my hard drive is a sata which i forgot to mension.....please give me good newsssss,,,,,LOL

Hi Again Rick,
yes that will work and pick one of the options in post # 5
1)do a clean install of your OS (requires windows CD)
2)do a repair install (requires Windows CD)
3)run 'sysprep' so your current install will work with new hardware.(not always an option)
sometimes a reinstall with a major hardware replacement will get flagged when you go to reactivate,and you may need to call and give an explanation to a MS rep explaining that it is being moved not duplicated.
one more thing Rick, i looked up your bundle on ebay, under condition it is blank. i would verify that those are new components, IMO i would strongly advise against buying used MB& CPU as you don't know how it was treated, or if it was abused. let me know if I can help :)

hi again red, once again thanks m8 for your help, i have found this package, it is brand new so let me know your views,,, item number on ebay is 370236067178.. dont think its as good as the other but as long as it works and is a pretty decent computer i will be happy..tell me what you think m8, or would you recomend this package item number 110361021864, just unsure of this one as it has no RAM and im unsure the DDR2 i have will work on it..
i think this one is the best item number 370169455465 as it has every thing i need and RAM and is also brand new,,, let me know your views m8

Hi Red , i think this one is the best, item number 370169455465 as it has every thing i need and RAM and is also brand new,,, let me know your views m8,

Hi rick ,370169455465 looks good, just be aware that it has integrated graphics,....so no gaming LOL, nut it is an AM2+ so you have upgradability.
plus on board 512MB nVidia GeForce 8200 Graphics,

what do mean no gaming, im sure my nf7g asrock hd ready was also intergrated graphics,,, will i still be able to play games on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back