Help with my custom built computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurles

I have recently attempted to create a custom built computer for the first time, i have followed guides and got the computer all made but when i power it up it makes a loud high pitched noise! how do i get it working properly, it turns on theres just a huge noise.

I also have a second question, my new computer has a 320mb 8800GTS graphics card in it, and has 2 DVI slots on the back of it, my monitor has a DVi and a VGA, but i only have lead for VGA, but i have 2 apadtops which turn a VGA into a DVI. But the adaptor only works in the graphics card, if i put an adaptor on my monitor it doesnt fit, will the monitor still work?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 112706 274 in stock £126.76

Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 Onboard Audio ATX 125082 174 in stock £58.82

Point Of View 8800GTS 320MB DVI HDCP PCI-E Graphics Card 125325 20 in stock £148.88

Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII/300 8.5ms 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM 115418 1559 in stock £43.30

Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Performance Memory CL5 1.9V Matched Pair with Heat Spreaders 098710 170 in stock £63.82

Coolermaster IGreen 500W PSU - 85% Efficiency ATX12V v2.2 120mm Fan 115161 41 in stock £44.29

Gigaybte GZ-X1 Black ATX Mid-Tower Case - No PSU 126922 8 in stock £31.47

Thats my computer parts help pls!

it's coming from the CPU i'm sure, but its all installed perfectly its not the installation thats making it beep

For your second question, you would use a vga cable plugged into the vga port on your monitor, with the DVI adapter on the other end plugged into the video card. Or get a DVI cable and forget it, then enjoy the higher quality output.

As for your first question, I am having trouble understanding your "huge high pitched noise" that you are trying to explain.

Are all of the standoffs placed correctly, ie. not shorting out? Is the memory completely seated? Otherwise I would tend to think you have a bum mobo.

You can usually tell whats wrong by the beep code, but in your case you have the AWARD Bios and that is manufactuer independent, so the beep codes vary. I wasn't able to find anything pertaining to a long single beep for your mobo.

i was just screwing around and realised id idnt have that 6 pin to the video card LOL

that fixed the loud whining noise, now it starts up and i hear
1long beep followed by 3 shorter beeps

and my monitor gets no signal

i had a double ended VGA lead, with a DVI apadtor so it fits to the graphics card, but the lead is still plugged into the VGA port in the monitor.

so i have 1 long beep 3 short
DVI into card but VGA into monitor
No display

Now what! =(

You may have damaged the video card by not supplying power to it before starting the computer. I know that if you dont plug in the P4 to a mobo before booting it can blow the board... the video card may be the same way. Dont take my word for it though as I am not sure, wait for others to chime in. If you have another system with the same type of port your video card is made for you could try it in there to be sure (BE SURE TO PLUG IN THE PCI-X POWER CABLE THOUGH).

Shaw23 said:
You may have damaged the video card by not supplying power to it before starting the computer. I know that if you dont plug in the P4 to a mobo before booting it can blow the board... the video card may be the same way. Dont take my word for it though as I am not sure, wait for others to chime in. If you have another system with the same type of port your video card is made for you could try it in there to be sure (BE SURE TO PLUG IN THE PCI-X POWER CABLE THOUGH).

Zurles, Shaw23 has given you the worst case scenario mate. If it has blown, your card is scrap, but as he says try it in another pc if you can.
Does the fan on the card still work? If so, it may 'just' be the cable.
As for the DVI > VGA adaptor, bin it and buy a DVI > DVI cable, much better.

You could also try plugging the vga cable into the vga port on the mobo (if it has one) and see if it works that way. I am not sure if it will work, but if it does and doesnt give you beeps, then you can try going into the bois and disableing the onboard video then rebooting with the monitor hooked into the card. (I would only try this though if you know how to reset your bios with the jumper or battery, in case this doesnt work).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back