Help with my SATA and IDE drives please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built my first computer and am having difficulties installing windows. I was able to succesfully install windows on my SATA drive (320GB Seagate SATAII), but I wanted to use this drive solely for video. So I hooked up my older Hitachi Deskstar 120 GB harddrive that I had to my IDE connection on my new Gigabyte motherboard. I unplugged my SATA drive, set RAID settings under BIOS to ATA instead of SATA, then inserted my Windows XP disk into my CDROM drive and started the computer. The XP startup starts, installs the initial drivers, then when it tries to start installing Windows, I get a blue screen STOP error. What could be the problem? I tried using my other IDE drive I had (Hitachi 200GB Deskstar) and the same problem happens. Yet, when I start Windows on my SATA drive, both ATA drives appear in Windows and I can access them. I am able to install windows without any problems on my Hitachi 120 if I do it on another computer, but it worries me that I can't do it on my new one. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

confused

Im a bit confused
are you trying to run Raid using a sata and ata hard drives? I dont think that is possible?
BTW..are your ata hard drives formated/ theres nothing on them?

I am not trying to run raid. But when I contacted the company that makes my motherboard (Gigabyte) that is what the tech said to do, to switch raid to ATA. Both drives have been formatted and completely clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back