Help with my usb problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i connect the flash drive into my PC it shows the name of flash drive is SKYMEDI not KINGSTON product name..i don't know how it becomes a SKYMEDI USB drive..as of now i can't use the device because i don't know what to do when i'm trying to format the disk it says.."No disk in Drive E..Insert a disk and try again.." and also says "the disk cannot be formatted" but way back year 2009 im using this device but now, i can't use it anymore..pls help me..im willing to wait your reply ASAP to solve this kind of problem..thanx inadvance

Hi

it sounds as though the flash drive has gotten damaged.

there is no cure for this im afraid, usual causes are things like magnetic interference, rough handling, water ingress etc

it may be worth contacting Kingston to see if there is any warranty on the unit.

I'll explain how this tool can sometimes help....

When you first plug a USB storage device into a USB port you see the pop-up bubble that says "Windows is installing the device"
> The installation includes a "USB data descriptor" for the device
> This descriptor contains information about the USB device and how it connects to your computer

The USB descriptor is NOT deleted when you unplug the USB device (It's only deleted when you uninstall the USB device). The reason is next time you plug the device back in Windows finds the USB descriptor and uses the connection data so it doesn't need to do a full reinstall.

The PROBLEM is sometimes Windows gets confused when you plug a device back in and it associates it with an old and incorrect descriptor (e.g. that could explain why Windows now says it's a different device name).

By unplugging all your USB storage devices and then running this tool, the tool deletes all the old USB data descriptors for any unplugged USB device. Thus, next time you replug your USB device into a USB port, Windows will do a fresh and clean install. This can sometimes fix USB problems (and while it doesn't always help, running the tool won't hurt). It's equivalent to trying to uninstall/reinstall a device that's having problems. Sometimes that's what does the trick!

Hmm ok that seems to be very interesting. I think that I will use it on my old Flash drive that till now is no more working(can't reformat it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back