Help with Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting yesterday, whenever I send an email, I get a program error box that says something about a problem w/ MSIMN.exe and it say system must re-start. It stays stuck in this loop untill I turn off my modem and delete the message in the outbox. The message does actually get sent but it "acts" like it is not sent and just keeps "sending" indefinitely :( Why/how did this happen? How do I fix it? Any suggestions?

TIA

By the way, I re-installed Outlook express and Explorer 6 w/o any chage. Also, no problems receiving mail.

Welcome to TechSpot

My, my, aren't you a little bit impatient? Look at the time of your posting, 2:42am. Remember, this is a place full of (extremely helpful) volunteers!

Personally I don't use OE, because of its vulnerability (I use Pegasus).
Microsoft has something to say here, don't know if this is your error.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258034

More details would help us also, like filling out you profile, tell us what OS you use etc.
These could be reasons why people don't immediately jump to answer you.

I would run a full anti virus scan ,Adaware & Spybot on your machine.
If it is clean , do a full update at Microsoft IE and Outlook have some very important a recent updates.Let us know what happens.
P.S. Welcome to Techspot,There really are some geat folks here!

You could try to re-setup your email account completely, or simply try to add another one. It sounds like something got screwed up with the profile setup in Outlook.

Try making another account and post back.

Also as realbackstuff has said, please be patient and people will get back to you as soon as we can. There have been very few problems that we haven't been able to at least point someone in the right direction. So a little patience is key.

First of all, Y'all are correct, I had no patience yesterday:eek: I apologize. No excuses, I was just working on this issue from early in the morning until about 1400 hrs. I was so frustrated that I wanted an answer ASAP as I was trying to send some important emails.

I did a complete virus scan, spybot, and all the updates I could find - No help. As stated, I re-installed Outlook and Explorer too. I also did a search on Microsoft's site and found the article that realblackstuff referred to - but I was afraid to follow the instructions because they included making changes to the Registry Editor. I was afraid I will cause more problems than I have now if mess up the Registry. It is very frustrating being so computer illiterate. I suppose I will try this and hope for the best :confused:

Thanks for the responses.

As long as you make a backup of the registry before you start, there should not be any problems using Regedit.
Click Start/Run type in "regedit" without the quotes.
Position your cursor on the "HKEY_whatever" that you want to make the change in.
Then at the top left of the regedit screen, click on Registry, select Export Registry. On the left bottom of the following screen you can select All or just that branch, pick a location to file it, give that file a name (without extension, regedit does that for you) you will remember and hit save.
Now go do your stuff as per MS-instructions.

If anything goes wrong, just double-click on the saved registry-file and it will restore your previous situation.
Alternatively, if you have XP, make a restore point, change in Regedit. If problems, restore from before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back