Help with OUtlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for jumping right in, being a new poster, etc, etc......but, I am a complete computer illiterate and I am in need of help.

I keep getting error messages that Outlook Express may not be installed properly and am to the point that I cant access my email at all.

Is there a place to download and install OUtlood Express again AND is there any possibility of losing all in my mailbox ? I am a genealogy nut and have probably 1000 important emails and contacts I cant afford to lose. What are my choices ?

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Outlook Express can be somewhat tricky in my opinion...
I prefer Outlook, which is included in most msOffice suites.

Outlook Express is integrated into Internet Explorer (IE).
Depending on what version of IE you have, you can upgrade to IE 6.0 -which would also upgrade your Outlook Express (to 6.0). You can download an IE update on http://www.windowsupdate.com

You can manually remove and re-install Internet Explorer using Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components. Make sure you backup your emails, and have a windows CD so you can re-install.

Backup Outlook Express Folders:
If you decide to upgrade to Outlook, then you can import your Outlook Express emails and contacts while configuring Outlook (it will prompt to import).

According to Outlook Express Help, Express stores each folder as a seperate .dbx file. You can use File | Folder | Compact to first compress the folder .dbx file. You can then copy the .dbx file to a floppy, burn to CD, or another location on your hard-drive.

Hope this helps.

-C

If I do the wrong thing

with posting, let me know. I hope i havent started a new thread.

I am on another computer and cant try what Cromrell suggested. It sounds like it would work. I didnt know there was an Outlook and an OUtlook Express...did I understand that correctly?

Once I get through with a deadline project here at work, I will try your suggestions. I am just very concerned about not losing the old emails.......

Thank your for your response. I will be in touch as to results.
:)

In Outlook Express if you look in ...Tools..........Internet Options and click on the maintenance tab then the Store Folder button....it will tell you where your messages are saved. You just need to save that folder and then import back into Outlook Express later

Re: If I do the wrong thing

1) I might also suggest that you make use of the "identity" within Outlook Express to test your ability to backup and restore your emails before you upgrade.

(using Outlook Expres 6)
a) attempt to backup your emails
b) select File | Identities | Add New Identity
c) type in new Identity name
d) you will next be prompted if you want to switch identities (to your new identity name), as well as configure if you want to be prompted to choose identities when you start Outlook Express. You do.
Now you will have a new empty identity, and can attempt to import your messages from a backup source.
e) select File | Import
f) select 'Import mail from an OE6 store directory'
g) browse to the location of your backup messages

Originally posted by Elizabeth
I didnt know there was an Outlook and an OUtlook Express...did I understand that correctly?
:)

2) Outlooks Express is included in all version of windows and is the default email tool.
Outlook is included in all Microsoft Office suites and is a little more powerful than Outlook Express. As I said before, I prefer Outlook, and have migrated all of our office users from Outlook Express to Outlook.

Again, hope this helps, Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back