Help with pain in the a** network

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had a network working fine, but had to format my main pc, and now it wont work i tried loads of different things, reinstall drivers, use my own ips. changed settings, used the wizards with still no joy

my setup is

PC1 - usb adsl modem 2mb line which runs the internet sharing to a laptop and PC2

PC1 & PC2 is wired to a 4 port network hub

LAPTOP is wireless 801.11b which connects to a wireless acess point which is plugged into my network hub

can anyone gimme a idea why my network wont work anymore. all computers say connected, but cant use internet cept on PC1 and cant map drives or use remote desktop

**EDIT** also PC1 wont connect to access point either i have a utility to get access point info and change settings, but now it cant find it

Ping is your friend.

Forget the ADSL for starters and let up your LAN first with static IP addresses. Use the ping utility and ethernet link lights to troubleshoot. Turn off software firewalls since those may block even the ping replies.

If you are really using a hub and not a switch or a router (Do you know the difference? Many people don't) then you should to set the ethernet links to half duplex and maybe 10Mbit/s.

i had the same problem yesterday! i didn't bothher trying to figure it out I just tried another reinstall of windows and everything worked fine :approve:

well the hub says netgear 4 port 100base tx fast ethernet hub model fe 104

tried hald duplex 10mb and it just comes up with cable unplugged, untill i put settings back.

also tried reinstall of windows and it didn't work

config all nics to full duplex 100x if they can if one nic cannot then all have to be set like that one
should learn to trouble shoot systems
reinstalling would be tiresome at best
should use static ip's 192.168.1.101 and up to .225 find under tcp/ip protocol
get the wan ip from isp and you will need the dns ip's as well
if you have just a hub set to dynamic not static
ipconfig/release ? run command prompt ipconfig to view

Samstoned said:
config all nics to full duplex 100x if they can if one nic cannot then all have to be set like that one
should learn to trouble shoot systems
reinstalling would be tiresome at best
should use static ip's 192.168.1.101 and up to .225 find under tcp/ip protocol
get the wan ip from isp and you will need the dns ip's as well
if you have just a hub set to dynamic not static
ipconfig/release ? run command prompt ipconfig to view

set to full duplex 100x didn't do a thing, used them ips didn't do a thing
ran them commands, ip config gave me the ips and gatways and subnets but the release command failed due to no adapter

just thought ill add all computers state that there connected to the network, just dont communicate

You cannot use full duplex on a hub. If it is a 100mbps hub then you should use 100 half duplex.

Have you actually heard about ping and what it does?

how about if i lose the hub and just try to connect pc1 with my laptop, i plug the access point into pc1 and use wirless card for laptop, what setting then, i keep playing with things but it seems my pc one cant find the access point

try starting with the modem and access point to your wirless
TCP/IP must be configured to use the 802.11b card
I have no first hand experiance with wireless systems
but I did (setup a customers card bout year ago )
check your networking right click on network icon
you should see the wirless protocol icon enabled
sometimes my memory fails me if I don't do something often enough
and even then? the 60's where a blur
I guess duty in a shipyard was better than going to vietnam

don't give up never surrender :knock:

Ok i have a connection on the network now, just can share the internet connection, on PC1 i have made the defult connection a shared one, no firewalls are active. but my other computers wont connect.

**edit** just an update im forgetting about pc2 at the moment,

i got pc1 still with usb modem, connected to network hub, and access point to network hub. and wireless card in laptop.

pc1 has ip @ 192.168.0.1
Laptop has ip @ 192.169.0.2
Access point has defult ip @ 192.168.1.1

i can map to all drives on both computers so i know the network is operatinal

just still cant share internet connection, i made my dsl connection shared, still no firewalls yet,

i can ping both machines fine on there ip's

if you need any more info just ask

just more info, for some reason my internet has appeared on my laptop, so i tried ping for my adsl ip and it worked fine

just cant get no web pages up in browser or connect to any online services. even tho laptop shows an active internet connection

those are some strange start numbers
let me get this
your modem is connected to the pc if true pc is acting as dhcp router must enable
ip for this should be 192.168.1.1
your pc has a nic connected to hub
hub connects to access point (try without hub)
that in turn sends to the wireless laptop if true this ip should be 192.168.1.10
this is the best way to set up system
modem to 4-8 port router (get the hub out of the loop)router wan Default Gateway Address
(192.168.1.0)
make router a gateway static ip lan 192.168.1.1
pc 1 ip 192.168.1.11 or ?
access point I have never configed but the card is same deal as nic 192.168.1.12 or ?
check router for status this will give you WAN IP
and DNS ip's there should be 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back