Help With Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI everyone....i was wondering if i could creat a partition with a version of windows already installed on my Primary drive "C:"....
Do i need to redo windows in order to do this? Can i just Slap on another partition aside from the primary one? I want to Get ready to install Linux since i wanna get into programming and hacking. There is a Thread on Linux...and im getting help from there.....im just wondering how i can get another partition on my drive without messing with my previously installed windows.
Thanks,
Jebuz

Do you have/or can get ahold of Partition Magic? That does a nice job of making new partitions and you will not have to redo your windows installation. You might be able to accomplish it through fdisk but I'm not sure, I really dont' know anything about fdisk.

Yeah, FDISK is out of the question. Partition Magic is suggested. It's not free though, so good luck to you getting your hands on it. :)

Partition

Hey Jebuz,

The others are right. I have used Partition Magic several times to change, move, resize, delete,create partitions. It is really the only way to go. Make sure if you do get it to get the newest version that supports XP.

Take care,

Boeingfixer

Originally posted by jebuz
I want to Get ready to install Linux since i wanna get into programming and hacking.

That's kinda Stereotyped ;)

Not all Linux users are hackers & it's not the only powerfull thing that Linux is capable of...

Do you havve windows XP?

If so, Microsoft has been so kind as to include a tool to do this.

If you root around in the Control Panel, going to Performance and Maintence, then to Administrative Tools, then to Computer Management, then Disk Management, you can get to it.

They managed to bury it quite nicely however.

Re: Partition

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Hey Jebuz,

The others are right. I have used Partition Magic several times to change, move, resize, delete,create partitions. It is really the only way to go. Make sure if you do get it to get the newest version that supports XP.

Take care,

Boeingfixer

If you are wondering Partition Magic 7.0 is the one that Windows XP supports.

Re: Re: Partition

Originally posted by poertner_1274

If you are wondering Partition Magic 7.0 is the one that Windows XP supports.

Thanks poertner_1274, I couldn't remember the version number. I thought it was like 7.01 but wasn't sure. Thanks again.

Take care

Boeingfixer

I'm with all of you guys on this on. I've used Partition Magic 7.0 Pro for quite a while now and haven't had any problems with it. I've heard, however, that Microsoft's little tool is prone to causing loss of data and corruption on your hard drive. Just a thought.

Partition Magic is really easy to use and extremely powerful for partitioning, creating, merging, changing type, copying, and just about anything else you can think to do with a hard drive! :)

Agree

Liek I said before, this is the only proggy for working with your partitions. I have used it to move,resize, rename, create,delete and so on and never have been burned or lost data. I even had a system screw up with dual boot one time and lost my boot loader. I used the rescue disk, got back in and it worked great. I also ran it with a triple boot system once. 98se ME and 2000 while I was testing them. Never once has data been lost!!

Re: Re: Re: Partition

Originally posted by boeingfixer

Thanks poertner_1274, I couldn't remember the version number. I thought it was like 7.01 but wasn't sure. Thanks again.

Take care

Boeingfixer

That's what we are all here for:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back