Help With Picking Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

It seems like I'm going on a frenzy here, a new e-GeForce 7900GS KO and now new RAM! My question to you is if I should add onto my current 512MB DDR2 533 Samsung RAM or add in 1024Mb (2x512) and sell the 533 memory? I know my motherboard is very "picky" when it comes to memory and I have found nothing that ASUS suggests in the manual on Newegg.com (My motherboard is an ASUS M2NPV-VM).

Your motherboard will accept up to DDR2-800 and supports dual-channel (memory in pairs).

If your current configuration is only single-channel (i.e. one stick of 512mb), perhaps adding an identical stick will improve bandwidth as this would enable dual-channel.

As far as ddr2 533/667 or 800, this will depend on what FSB your CPU is running at and fsb/cpu ratio. You may wish to download CPU-Z (google and run) and post screenshots of the various tabs. This will help determine a good match.

Keep in mind that DDR2-800 is generally overkill as it will usually yield a >1:1 FSB ratio. While being over the CPU is never a bad thing, in your case, budget may be better spent elsewhere (or pocketed for a future CPU upgrade?).

Sharkfood said:
Your motherboard will accept up to DDR2-800 and supports dual-channel (memory in pairs).

If your current configuration is only single-channel (i.e. one stick of 512mb), perhaps adding an identical stick will improve bandwidth as this would enable dual-channel.

As far as ddr2 533/667 or 800, this will depend on what FSB your CPU is running at and fsb/cpu ratio. You may wish to download CPU-Z (google and run) and post screenshots of the various tabs. This will help determine a good match.

Keep in mind that DDR2-800 is generally overkill as it will usually yield a >1:1 FSB ratio. While being over the CPU is never a bad thing, in your case, budget may be better spent elsewhere (or pocketed for a future CPU upgrade?).

I'm not near my comptuer right now (rather at someone's house), so when I arrive home, I will post some screenshots of the memory tab in CPU-Z (And yes, this program has come in handy for me more that once :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back