Help with setting up 2 hard disks...jumper settings to master + slave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neild79

i got the following message + had to reinstall windows: s.m.a.r.t. disk bad, backup + replace. when i tried to boot from disk + reinstall, it said it could not copy certain files(mostly beginning with ms) i had to reformat + delete the partition to fully boot from cd. is my drive(its only wd 170aa 17gb) about to fail? if it is can i transfer everything to a new 250gb 8mb sp2504c + set up the 17gb as backup or would it bebetter vice versa...if i can how do i do this as i dont know how to set the jumpers to master + slave.... any help would be great as i dont know how to set jumpers....thank you

If it was me i would set the 200GB as the master with the OS and use the 17GB as a backup with my important documents, to setup as master and slave take out the harddrives and look on the back of the, there should bee dots like so

Code:
: : : :

and one of the pairs will have a black cover over them like so

Code:
: | : :

Look on the side of the harddrive it will have a diagram showing where to set for Master and slave, do as applicable and put back into your computer, you will need to format the disks with the appropiate software, usually downloadable from the manufacturers site.

Then check your BIOS and make sure they are setup as Primary and Slave in the correct order. If they arent, fix it, and then restart. Then attempt to install your OS, should be set to go then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back