Help with Spybot 1.62 immunization entries

tweakboy

Let me see if anyone can make sense of this.

On my dads comp Spybot 1.62 has about 234,000 immunize entries

On my compouter I have 183,000 immunize entries.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

I got it updated and everything.

Whats up with this ?

Let me see if anyone can make sense of this.

On my dads comp Spybot 1.62 has about 234,000 immunize entries

On my compouter I have 183,000 immunize entries.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

I got it updated and everything.

Whats up with this ?

I don't have an answer for that,but if you also have & use SpywareBlaster
there is no need to use the immunization part of Spybot. HTH

Yes learnin, I have Spyware Blaster 4.4 with about 14.5k immunization entries.

But I have Spyware Blaster on my dads machine too, along with my cousins. His only shows 183k as well.

Yes learnin, I have Spyware Blaster 4.4 with about 14.5k immunization entries.

But I have Spyware Blaster on my dads machine too, along with my cousins. His only shows 183k as well.

My GUESS, & its just a guess, would be that the higher number might mean its been on that PC longer,I don't know thou.I wish you well.

Well the higher number came after we got my Dads new computer. OS was pre installed but it was recent and done on a SSD. Couldnt have been barely 1 week old. I go to my dads hosts file and there is so many more entries in there.

I tried Spybot 2.0 Beta but that is the worst piece of crapola because it loads like 4 different EXE's and eats your RAM and is very slow.

Maybe final release will allow to not have those exe's. For example there was a immunization.exe which I dont like and bunch of other exe's. Very sad that, they couldn't just improve the immunization or something. We dont need real time protection from spybot. thx gl

Well the higher number came after we got my Dads new computer. OS was pre installed but it was recent and done on a SSD. Couldnt have been barely 1 week old. I go to my dads hosts file and there is so many more entries in there.

I tried Spybot 2.0 Beta but that is the worst piece of crapola because it loads like 4 different EXE's and eats your RAM and is very slow.

Maybe final release will allow to not have those exe's. For example there was a immunization.exe which I dont like and bunch of other exe's. Very sad that, they couldn't just improve the immunization or something. We dont need real time protection from spybot. thx gl

You shouldn't of tried the beta because its NOT the final release. Here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html is the one to use.
Uninstall the beta,reboot & install/update . HTH

I pruned the beta months ago. Even before that, its still 183k , compared to 214k I saw on my dads.

I also removed spybot completly,, and insatlled it over and allowed it to update the database.

Well thx for your help, but ya this is a weird mystery.....

I pruned the beta months ago. Even before that, its still 183k , compared to 214k I saw on my dads.

I also removed spybot completly,, and insatlled it over and allowed it to update the database.

Well thx for your help, but ya this is a weird mystery.....

Yes, strange. I hope you find a solution

just guessing here, but there could be a difference due to fundamental differences in the two systems, eg 32bit vis 64bit or XP vs Win7. Think like a programmer; why save information which is not relavent to the specific environment?

In connection with the afore mentioned view that SpywareBlaster renders unnecessary the immunization by Spybot S&D, I wish to express my different opinion, namely that though there's considerable overlap of coverage, each tool does offer something extra and consequently it's worth having both.

just guessing here, but there could be a difference due to fundamental differences in the two systems, eg 32bit vis 64bit or XP vs Win7. Think like a programmer; why save information which is not relavent to the specific environment?

Were using same OS... Its a different config , the machines . soo I guess there is a reason for the immunization,, I might noto need those extra 40k ,,

Can I ask what immunization count you get learningpc and jo beard.

thx gl

Were using same OS... Its a different config , the machines . soo I guess there is a reason for the immunization,, I might noto need those extra 40k ,,

Can I ask what immunization count you get learningpc and jo beard.

thx gl

I don't have spybot anymore but when I did have it, I did not use its immunization because I have SpywareBlaster.

There are a couple of obvious issues to point out.

First of all, immunization includes all browsers installed, even remnants of old versions, which Spybot automatically detects. So, do you have the same browsers/versions on both computers?

Secondly, do you have the same user accounts that use the browsers?

Finally, the immunization page gives detailed info about number of entries in various categories. By going thru them, it should become clear which categories differ.

@bobcat: good observation :)

a) I'm on XP/SP2
b) have IE 6, Opera 11.51, FF 3.6.13 (default)
c) I also have 5 logins (including the Admin)

my current count for Spybot (1.6.2.46) updated 10/26/2011 is 229,733

Back