Help with startup apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

munch2477

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get a description of the startup apps you have on your computer? I usually have 60 apps running on my comp and i dont know what 80% of them are.

The only things that need to start with Windows are your Firewall and Anti Virus.

Go to Start/Run/Type :msconfig /look for the Start up tab.

Uncheck everything except the above mentioned.

When Windows is running completely idle,wiht no other programs opened,there should normally be about 10-15 processes.

Things like svchost.exe,services,Winlogon,smss.exe,csrss.exe,lsass.exe,explorer.exe

so ur telling me i can uncheck everything except the above mentioned and that wont **** my system up?

Startups are NOT the same as Services so be careful what you stop.

But, if you look at the Startups only, unchecking anything but your antivirus and firewall is safe (unless there are other programs/apps you deem critical to the safe operation of your comp).

:)

Get a copy of Spybot Search & Destroy
Be sure to update it.

Using the Mode->Advanced, theres a Tools link in the left pane.
Under that window is a System Startups link.

All items shown are Startups. My list is shown in the attachment.
There are two or three that have even been deleted and do not show up.

Items with the Check marks are still active and those that are no longer active
have the box empty. You may notice some typical programs that get installed,
but which I've disabled:

Adobe Reader Speed Launch
CorelDRAW
EzButton
HotKeysCmds
igxTray
iTunesHelper
medic
PCSuiteTrayApp
QuickTime Task
THotkey
TkBellExe (Real Player)
This reduces the task load at startup and reduces paging activity which
is important for a Laptop.

Thanks guys. ill try that out when i get home. so i go into msconfig/startup tab, and then i uncheck everything except the stuff i want and ill be fine right? what about the two blank ones on there? Does anyone else have blank listings? and can i uncheck them?

If you're new to the process of examining and controlling your startup files, msconfig might be a good starting point
  • You can experiment at turning off any startup file it lists then reboot and to see if it has an affect on your system's stability/operation
  • If you have any kind of problem, you can use msconfig to change it back. Or simply reboot. Msconfig will restore all the startup entries for you
Also
  • As someone pointed out, you should be cautious not to stop or inhibit your firewall/anti-virus or other programs you rely on to monitor the safety of your system while you're in the processing of examing your startups
  • There's several good online resources to help you identify what a startup program is for and if you really need it. Here's a couple links. The first link also includes a good tutorial on how to use msconfig and the process of examining your startups
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
    http://www.sysinfo.org/
  • Before you start, i advise you do a full system scan for viruses, spyware, etc. Many of them disguise themselves by giving themselves a legitimate startup program filename. But they will reside in a different directory then the legit version. It's easy to miss the different directory name when you're looking at the startup filenames
Once you're more familiar with things, you can also checkout other freeware tools. Here's a couple others
  • Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel
    I find it has a nicer interface and it also allows you to do more (assuming you know what you're doing at that point!). Such as to create your own startup entries or edit exisiting entries
  • Sysinternal's AutoRun
    This will really tell you everything that autostarts on your computer. Definitely geared for the more experienced individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back