Help With Strange Framerate Drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, well first of all, sorry to come in here with my first post being a question, but I've been dealing with this problem for a little while now and it's starting to drive me nuts! Anyways, so on with the question.

For some reason, when playing a game (BF2, Rome: Total War, anything I've tried) my framerate will gradually drop when nothing is happening on screen, or should I say, anything different. An example of this would be just sitting on the world map in Rome: Total War. Every five-ten seconds I'll watch 1FPS slip off the count. It's not like it's a really noticeable graphical glitch right away, but after a few minutes, or loads (which seems to accelerate the process) it becomes apparent. The strangest part of this problem is that the problem will just stop and I'll finally get a steady framerate after roughly 30-40% has been eaten away.

Now I have done a few things to try to remedy the problem. First off I went and updated my video card drivers, no difference at all. Then I realized that this wasn't happening a few months ago so I did a system restore back to mid August. Again, it had no effect on my issue.

Finally, just a few things that may or may not be worth mentioning. This does happen regardless of if I'm setting my resolution really low or high, ATI Catalyst center performance options to low, medium or high or colour depth to 16 or 32bit. As I did mention above, this wasn't happening a couple months ago and I don't remember fiddling with any options so other than a power outage or two (which has screwed with my windows before) I don't see how this could be a result of changed options.

So there you go. Any thoughts on what could be causing this would be of great help as I'm pretty much restricted from playing my PC games. (and I just bought BF2 a little while ago :( )

I shut down just about every process that is under my user name, and I didn't think it was a good idea to fiddle with the system processes so I just let them be. Is there some sort of program or something that can scan my system for memory leaks?

Oh, and my page file usage is not going through the roof when I run a game, it usually just raises from it's standard 350MB to around 500MB, depending on how complex the game I'm running. Not positive if my page file usage would have to be really high for a memory leak to be happening but I thought I would mention it just in case.

It sounds like a 3d rendering soft as a problem, try changing your video device or getting another render (eg) Direct 3d Open GL and I believe there is more.

n8stone27 said:
I have a similar problem...

Did you ever find a solution?

Yeah, I did actually. I hadn't cleaned the inside of my PC in some time and my CPU fan was incredibly dusty. I gave it a good clean with a swiffer cloth along with the rest of the inner workings of the PC. When I booted the system back up it was at 100% again. I assume that my CPU fan had so much dust in it that it was unable to properly cool the CPU, causing it to gradually reduce its performance to keep from burning out. I started to lose performance roughly eight to ten months later and the same fixed worked again, so I'm pretty sure that's what was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back