Help with switching between partitions - XP on both (Partition Magic, Boot Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I partitioned my HD, and loaded XP on both primary partitions. The original is on an NTFS partition, the new one is FAT32 (if this matters). I loaded XP on both because I am trying out different versions of Office.

I used PartitionMagic 8.0 and Boot Magic 7.0 to do this. After partitioning, I used Boot Magic to boot from the new partition... it worked and I installed XP. Then I used Boot Magic again to boot up the original OS... but now I can't go back to the new partition. Boot Magic will no longer run on the original OS because it detects a duplicate copy on the new partition!! Weird.. it wont let me install Boot Magic on both partitions.

I've used Partition Magic to "activate" the new partition adn hide the original one, but it still boots the original one. So then I used PQBoot which is supposed to immediately boot up the selected partitioned drive, but again only the original boots up.

How do I access my new partition again?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have deleted your other thread, as two threads for the same problem are not required.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

mmmmmm could be that the bootmanager was written with ntfs and not dos
so dos system does not see the command to boot
ntfs will read fat32 but not the other way around
when in primary check the progam extension for the boot manager
see where it is pointing
for just 2 simliar OS's you really don't need a 3rd party boot
I would try to disable this and see if the boot.ini takes over
you can open this with note pad and copy to txt and post here
zip it first

Status
Not open for further replies.