TechSpot

Help with Symantec

By ShoeGirl
Jul 3, 2008
  1. Hey guys, im new here as you can probably tell as im on the introduce myself page, but i thought i should should just start off by diving in head first and asking for help.

Ok a few days ago my computer literally went on "life support" as a huge amount of viruses got on, and anyway after hours of desperately trying to help it stay alive, i finally got them all off, except for one thing, this stupid symantec email proxy pop-up kept on filling my screen with over 100 little messages saying unable to send.

Now i know these are spam emails and by no means have i tried to get rid of them, I've been on loads of threads already claiming they can help but still no luck.

I've search the computer hundreds of tmes with loads of different spyware and anti-virus software and still nothing shows up. So to be quite honest im full out of ideas.

Im not the most tech-savvy person to do this job, so bare with me if i havent tried the most obvious of things to sort it out, but i know how to use a computer and sort it out to a good standarded but this has got my puzzled....

So ANY help on this subject i really would be grateful for!

Thanks

ShoeGal :blush:

2. Daproblemis

Daproblemis TS Rookie Posts: 46

Don't think i replied correctly before. New here. Get NONAV from the Symantec website, or google and get it. Warning! It will remove every Symantec product from your computer. If you use any of their products, you will have to reinstall.

3. ShoeGirl

ShoeGirl TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks so much for the help, i will try it, just i have a few questions to ask if thats ok.

1) Does this mean i will uninstall Norton Anti-Virus? Seeing as i got it with the BT Home Package and i have no disc for it, i dont see how i could get it back...
    2) What exactly does this "NoNav" do?

Thankyou Again!

ShoeGirl :blush:

4. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Posts: 372

I think NoNav just removes Norton antivirus, Norton also do a tool to completely remove all evidence of all Norton products from your pc.Personally I would just remove all Norton and use one of the free antivirus programs like AVG which works as well as Norton and doesn't have the problems associated with Norton.
    If you want to reload Norton you can download it from your BTyahoo website but I think you need your account details to do so.

5. Daproblemis

Daproblemis TS Rookie Posts: 46

Incorrect. The NoNav will remove any Symantec product from your computer. It tells you when you run it and ask the question. If you want, I will try to figure out how to attach and send it to you. Hodsocks may be correct in that the version I use is Corporate, not general public version.

Good luck and if you need it, email me and I will send it. I think either one will solve the problem.

6. Hodsocks

You may be right. the only reference I could find of NoNav is for corporate antivirus, I have used the current Norton removal tool which is readily available on the symantec site as a download and it has worked fine for me.

7. ShoeGirl

Ok thanks for the help guys, i hope this helps!

So this NoNav is a ligit program right? Not an illegal one?
    Also, whats the difference between the coporate and the general public one?

Sorry with the amount of questions, just i need the help!

8. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

9. ShoeGirl

Ok, so i got so sick of the pop-ups i just uninstalled the whole lot of norton and symantec, and guess what.....no more pop-ups! Now who would of thought that would of happened, one thing still puzzles me, was it a virus or a error in the system that caused it?

Thanks guys for ALL your help, it was very much appreciated!!

10. kimsland

Stupid Symantec corrupt program is now removed :)

An error in Symantec program. Probably caused by a Virus (that Norton couldn't remove!) which corrupted its program.

Even though you stated that all Virus are removed, I'd suggest a full scan with your new (free?) Antivirus (especially if your last scan was only done by Norton)

11. ShoeGirl

Lol well it was stupid, stupid little little boxes! lol

Yes i have the free AVG now and PC Doctor for the spyware, seeing as i had norton anti-virus and antispyware, but now im all covered and safe...well so far anyway seeing as im in the middle of a scan but nothings come up so far, so "phew"

I really appreciate all the help, thankyou!

12. kimsland

The new AVG Free Ver 8 comes with Antivirus and AntiSpyware protection.
    Therefore you really do not need PC Doctor.

Also, as stated before, AVG is a bit bloated making it now a little slow (compared to Avira or Avast) But if you require Spyware protection as well, then AVG is an excellent package. It will also check every page you search for in Google, Yahoo, and MSN (and everywhere actually) for bad pages (this I believe is the slow part - but does make it very safe to surf)

How did the finished scan go?

13. ShoeGirl

Yes thats why i got it, because it had both, but i have found that some programs dont pick up everything and other programs do, so i have two to just be on the safe side, specially after the amount fo virus i had a few weeks ago!

The scan came up clean, fully clean, apart from the warnings about adware found. Now this i dont understand...it came up with no threats but with aload of warnings. does this mean i have them on the computer, now i have tried to get rid of them but i dont seem to be able too. So im a little stuck again. Any ideas ?

ShoeGirl:blush:

14. Hodsocks

If you just highlight all of the warnings in the list and then click on remove it should do the job for you.

15. kimsland

All done then :)

You could run CCleaner just to get rid of all the temporary stuff left over by installs and uninstalls and temporary Internet files.

That's about it then.

16. ShoeGirl

Cant i just run disk cleaner instead?

Also i have done that, i highlighted them before and click remove many times, but still they keep coming back every time i have a new scan! So..... ?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.