Help with system build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tha17

ok everyone i have about a $850(with tax)! i need to play BATTLEFIELD2 ON MAX SETTINGS the computer has to have: monitor, keyboard, mouse etc... i will consiter anything that is 850 (or under).

i have been highly consitering this computer here but if you want you can pick one out yourself or you can "pimp" out this hp for gaming!

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5203247?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

it would be better if you can shop by store websites instead of like newegg.com but if it is good i might get it from there. also i cant buy right away...i am getting the money in less than a month from now so ya...

ps: i hate dell i just got my 800 from returing a dell and i am looking for a hard core gamming computer (not really hard core cause it is under 900) but the BEST THING I COULD GET WITH THAT MONEY. i know u probrably think i should just do this myself but i am a noob at this stuff! so i need a like really smart guy :)

here are the specs for bf2!

Windows XP
1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D/Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater.
512 MB RAM or more
8x or faster CD/DVD drive
1.1 GB free hard drive space (plus 3 GB or more free space on Windows partition).
DirectX 9.0c compatible; Video card must be AGP or PCI Express, have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater; ATI Radeon 8500; ATI Radeon 9500 or greater.
DirectX 9.0c compatible (Sound Blaster X-Fi series recommended).

pss: i might want to play bf2142 so here are the spects for that:
Operating System: Windows XP (32-bit) with Admin rights

Processor: 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater

DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Disk Space: 2.3 GB free hard drive space or more

CD Speed: 8x or faster DVD drive

RAM: 512 MB of RAM or more

128Mb Video card or more

I am not much for Pre-built systems now-a-days. It is much better to build a system, and if you have that much time to spare before you have the money maybe you could do some research and learn how to put one together. Here is a link to a thread you may want to look into, someone is trying to build a gaming PC for around the same price range as you and you may be interested in the same parts... plus you wouldnt have to worry about incompatabilities.

Well

Your not going to get much in that price range from an OEM. You can for sure pull it off if you built it yourself, I know you dont want to hear that but it is the truth....

Anything decent is going to run you a minimum of $1500 in a OEM.

You can get close to what a $1500-$2000 OEM computer has for around your $900 budget.

Building a PC isnt bad, we here at TS are more than helpful at helping people pick out parts that suit their needs and budget. Other than that putting a PC togeather is not that hard and the actual "build" is done in about 8 steps which are very easy if you just take it slow.

JimShady23 said:
Your not going to get much in that price range from an OEM. You can for sure pull it off if you built it yourself, I know you dont want to hear that but it is the truth....

Anything decent is going to run you a minimum of $1500 in a OEM.

You can get close to what a $1500-$2000 OEM computer has for around your $900 budget.

Building a PC isnt bad, we here at TS are more than helpful at helping people pick out parts that suit their needs and budget. Other than that putting a PC togeather is not that hard and the actual "build" is done in about 8 steps which are very easy if you just take it slow.

:approve: I agree with Jim.
Anyone who is capable and willing to learn can build a PC. There is more for your money and you can leave alot of room for upgrading in the future. Also if you buy a computer pre-built, alot of times they use lower quality parts to make the price more apealing... which wont last as long or wont perform as well.

2.2 is going to suck. Windows Vista takes up alot of RAM so i have heard. Your at least going to want a gig of RAM.

I agree with everyone. The price you want to pay is the price for a Superb video card. Do you even have BF2? You definitely need to upgrade your budget if you would like to play a game maxed out. 2.2Ghz is going to Suck! I work with 1.8 Ghz @ work running Win2k and they are Slo, 512mb RAM in most of them.

Seriously think about saving about 1500. ConsiDer it would be a wise investment because then you would be able to play just about any PC game!

Let me say that 2.2 is going to suck. I figured I would mention this as if you would decide to build, I wouldnt want you be be turned away from the Intel Core 2 Duo's because of low clock speeds because you think they are slow. C2D is the top of the line nowadays and you can't be fooled by thier low clock speeds.

2.66 C2d looks great, costs alot but it is more then worth it. Learn to overclock, which i am in that process and you can make it rain. P4 is ok, that mainly what we got @ mi job, just got 3gig machines with Core2 intel viv they ight 1gig RAM.

Thing is man it seems your going to buy a machine thats already out of date. P4's are good if you want to simply play PC games. Definitely upgrade the processor, RAM and video card. Those three things all help determine how flawless you home built PC will run.

so can i buy the hp

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5203247?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and then upgrade, ram, and video card and i just talked to the guy at frys (store were i might get the hp) he said 2.2ghz was fine!? and that i could play the game fine. he just recommened a better video card
i duno it just sounds easier... would that be more expensive than just building one?

ps: im in my teens so that might explaine all of the spelling errors.. :)
also i really want this game to play good for a long time! i want to get it for the summer so i have a lot of time to play it and i dont want it to skip and exit out of the game after like an hour playing it. i went through HELL with DELL just to get my money back on a computer that i thought can play it but cant! i reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally want this game to play good and play for loooooooooong time so what ever i have to do...and sugestions...with that comp+monitor i am at 810 the 810 has tax included in it :) so i can probrably spend like very little money.

I'm not a big fan of Fry's pre-built systems as, well, they are mostly junk and you'll wind up basically rebuilding it if you upgrade it. I'm a Bay Area local too. :)

That system you linked- yes, it would need at the minimum another gig of RAM and a PCI-Express videocard, at which point you'll more than likely need to replace the case and power supply unit (PSU). The stock case will likely not have sufficient cooling for the beefier space-heater 3d card, and stock PSU you can bet wont have enough juice for the upgrades. Worse yet, alot of those HP cases and motherboards don't always use industry standard PSU's or PSU mountings, so you may be out of luck from the whole angle... or need to buy some $300 custom PCC&C power supply.

You really should consider a parts list on NewEgg and building it yourself. A strapping young teen such as yourself can screw together quite a beast on your budget and you'll gain knowledge in the process that will pay for itself over the next 2-5 years in upgrades and servicing the system yourself. Moreover, you wont have to throw anything away, hand-pick just the parts you need, and have a fun weekend putting it together.

ok...thx i guess

if i build one i am GOING to need help doing it considering i can only install like ram and the cpu...

Building is a sinch...go to howstuffworks.com and type in building your PC or i believe you can view something on how to build your own rig here. My main problem i have when trying to build is when you purchase all your stuff do you need to buy an os? I would imagine you would. 2.2 does suck, people will sell you Crap when they can in order to get sales or should i say commission.

tha17 said:
ok...thx i guess

if i build one i am GOING to need help doing it considering i can only install like ram and the cpu...
As long as you have access to another PC with internet access during the process, you can create a new thread here and I'm sure lots of people will throw in guidance on getting it all together.

Do some searches too.. there are many threads here of users doing their first builds and the community here coming to the aid of yet another happy self-PC builder. :)

If you can install RAM and CPU, you're already a step ahead of alot of people trying their first build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back