Help with the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok my son got my moms old computer, we tried to hook it up to our wireless router and it woul dnot let us. It said it need to hav ewindows updated, but how do I do this , I can't get the computer online...so if i can't get the computer online I can't update windows...can i hook the two computers together? not sure what to do.. I hope someone can help me..

wireless setups are not simple, so start with a wired connection.

then you can run IE and get the system updates and drivers.

help getting computer online

Ok The computer is a dell, oh about four years old... now when we try to install the router softwear the coputer says we need to update windows. so if I can not get the router to work, and can't get the computer online. How can I update windows. The computer has not been on line for over a year. The computer is a dell dimension LN33R microsoft windows millennium stciker on the side of it...thanks

Windows ME? I don't know how updated it can get since MS stopped supporting it awhile ago. Anyway, as jobeard suggested, can you temporarily connect this PC directly by wire from the broadband modem to the PC instead of to the router? Once it is updated, you can reconnect the router.

BTW, make sure the wireless adapter you are using for the Dell supports the Windows ME operating system. Some do not support Windows 98 or ME anymore, only XP or above. If you are not sure about the operating system, go to the Start menu > Run box and type the word dxdiag. The report that is generated should tell you what operating system you have.

they are still not telling much of the system specs
I can't find any info from quick google
but its a Dell
I would invest in an oem xp pro for it save a lot of headaches

good luck and have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back