TechSpot

Help with this Bios chip password removal

By kev19stokes
Aug 20, 2009
  1. Had a dell for a couple of years and didn’t use it when I pulled it out I have forgotten the password. So I read and did some research and started looking for the pin on my dell.
    I have my dell c610 in a million parts trying to jump the chip. When I push the power button it does not come on. When I take the wires off it will boot but soon shut down if I re touch the pins. Not sure what to do? Reading it is a common problem but everyone seems to get around it somehow but no one says how.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

The TechSpot folks no longer provide support for password repairs. If you are the original owner, or the now registered owner, call Dell for advice. If you get someone you cannot understand, ask for an English speaker. They will hang up instead. Then call back, going through this process until you can speak to someone who speaks English clearly, as you need to go through a number of procedures.

3. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

Wow!!! Of course this process may last a good part of the day...
    The more I read on this forum about Dell PC's, the more I learn to stay away from them.
    You'll never have issues like this if you buy from a local computer store who services what they sell on site.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Well I heartily disagree with that... for the number of machines Dell has out there, they do OK... and hardly any other company will help you as much with a problem of this complexity. Certainly not Sony, nor eMachines, nor HP.
    IBM Lenovo might, and Gateway will while it is under warranty only.
    As for your choice, it depends on the talent of each local computer store whether they can help or make it worser.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.