help with top of line comp build

By ripken204
Apr 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

I would ditch the WD Raptor and get another 160GB Barracuda

Also, the web-references in that list do not match the described components.
    You trying to fool us with some wannabe-PC?

You ask all these questions about the most expensive PC accessories, yet I saw you complain about the price of some cheap memory ($20.-) that your father got, and you want to spend nearly $3'000 on a PC?
    Get off your high horse!
  2. ripken204

ripken204 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 315

my fathers cheap, im not, i have 3000 to spend and the thing costs 2817, with tax+shipping it'll be about 3000

and why ditch the raptor? i dont want to raid
  3. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

i thin it would be better to go with raid, becuase i say a rapitor compaird to a regulat 7200 rpm drive and theres nnot muc difference, is this ur first build???

good luck
  4. ripken204

ya its my 1st build, now y would i go raid, i wouldnt wna go raid0 b/c of the dangers of losing all my data, and i dont rly see a point in raid1 for me
  5. swker98

true, but, raptors in my opnion are a wast, theres no real gain, if u dont like raid then just get a WD 250 or something, take look at the thred "tips for builders" ive never built one yet, but i hope it works out, i think u sohlud buy all ur stuff from www.newegg.com, there the best and very relable and helpful
  6. swker98

7. ripken204

all from newegg? now thats a bad idea, i'de be out about 300$ then
  8. swker98

ok, but do u like the drive i showed you, it looks good wouldnt use a raptor though
  9. ripken204

why do u hate raptors? they are so much better/faster than any other drive

and i chose my secondary drive b/c it has NCQ/sataII
  10. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Not always the best choice

I dont think he hates raptors, but is giving some advice...do you need the speed? what do you plan to put on it?
    No they are not the fastest

Sean

11. swker98

yes i dont hate them, i mean i was thingig of putting a raptor 1 36gb in my futre rig, but for you i dont thknik u need them, ill try to find the benchmarks that sohw raptors are a wast price wise
  12. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

The Raptor gives you only 74GB for 200 bucks.
    Do you need space, or do you just fancy an expensive HD?
  13. swker98

so true,i dont think there as good as they say they ar,everybodys goin crazyfor them because it 10000 rpm a whopping 2800 more ten a normal drive
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.