TechSpot

Help with Tricky data situation

By tli
Jan 15, 2006
  1. The problem environment:
    Old Fat 32 Drives (2) with important data on them (wedding photos!)
    New Dell computer with RAID (250Gb drives)
    Since i'm an old school techie i have no idea whats going on with the RAID and ATA Drive Devices.

I purchased an external HHD connection device which when connected loads properly... except Windows XP (Media Edition) doesn't assign a drive letter so i can't enter nor manipulate the drive in anyway.

Would love to figure out a way to connect this old FAT32 IDE drive to my ATA/NTFS computer so that I can access my files.

Your help and suggestions are much appreciated... I've been reading through the existing posts and can find nothing which meets this complexity.
    -

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

3. tli

tli TS Rookie Topic Starter

Peddant your correct

It does not show up in disk management.
    any suggestions?

4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

Oh,are you asking me ? Sorry,I`m out of ideas.According to google,a lot of people have had similar problems,but no-one seems to get an answer.This is the closest any one got http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=148132 (see last post).If all else fails,you`ll just have to hook it up to a friends pc,either externally or internally.New Dells don`t do legacy very well.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.