Help with Trojan.Adclicker

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Norton's antivirus detected it but can't do anything about it. I have multiple accounts on this computer and the virus is in the settings folder of one of the accounts. Could I just delete that account and be rid of the virus or what?

I have no idea what to do...any help would be much appreciated

Have you tried deleting it while in Safe Mode?

Is it in use at the time you try to remove it?

One more thing. Are we talking about \local settings\temporary internet files or just \local settings?

ok, that last question was more to satisfy my own curiosity. :) I guess little things please small minds. lol

Yes it's in the temporary internet files section.

I have tried before to restart in safe mode and then run the scan and try to ddelete it that way, but as I go to log into an account things freeze up.

I went to the page your link leads to before directly from nortaons after it detected it, but to tell you the truth it's all pretty cofusing to me.

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1,Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
2,Update the virus definitions.
3,Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
4,Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as 5,Trojan.Adclicker.
6,Delete the value that was added to the registry.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. Disabling System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore.
<SNIP>

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:

"How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

2. Updating the virus definitions
There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
<SNIP>

3. Restarting the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode
For Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, or XP users, restart the computer in Safe mode.

4. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
Run a full system scan.
If any files are detected as infected with Trojan.Adclicker, write down the path and file names, and then click Delete.

5. Deleting the value from the registry

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

Navigate to each of the keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right pane, delete the any value that refers to the file detected in step 4. (the infected one)

Exit the Registry Editor.

It seems a little strange to me that you can boot normally into windows, but can't boot into it from safemode. If this is the case, it sounds like you have a completely seperate issue from the trojan.

WEll I tried running in safe mode through msconfig and it worked fine. Before I was doing it another way and may have messed something up. Anyways, even when in safe mode nortons failed in deleting the virus. Oi...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back