help with vid card/mobo compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

I recently purchased a new vid card for my old comp... it's been having a lot of trouble, but I figured this would fix it. Here's my problem, I just bought a NVidia GForce 2 with 64mb of RAM, but I can't find a slot on my mobo where it fits. My mobo's fairly old (7 years), but I didn't figure it was that outdated...:rolleyes:

I also can't really buy a new mobo (no more money!), so I've got to get what I've got to run.

Update

I think this card is a tweaked version of the original card, see www.pandex.net It apparently requires a 4x AGP slot...what does a AGP slot look like? I tried putting it in where my old card (a ATI Rage II) was, put no luck. I also tried some other slots, but those didn't fit either.

edit: Never mind the first part, Pandex claims that they manufacture these cards...is this true?

An AGP slot looks like this:
mb-tou3.jpg

For more information on the slot's on your motherboard, take a look at this Motherboard Tour.
Basically, you'll need a different motherboard to use your card, there are NO adapters/converters/magical hammers that will allow you to use your video card without the proper interface. If you can return/exchange your video card from the store you purchased it from, you'll need to get a PCI video card. Otherwise, you'll have to upgrade your motherboard to one with the AGP port. Whatever you decide to do, post back for an opinion so that you're not stuck like this again.

Originally posted by me(who else?) My mobo's fairly old (7 years), but I didn't figure it was that outdated...:rolleyes:
Seven computer years are equal to about 70 calendar years, according to progress. ;)

I used to think it was pretty bad, until I saw my friend's old comp...it puts mine to shame. 64mb HD, 5 mb RAM, one of those giant floppy drives, etc. It's also got a power supply twice the size (not voltage) of any other PSU I've seen. I'm gonna return the card and get a PCI card. Thnks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back