Help with Vista Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienb

Hi there,

Im currently building a PC and am about to pre-order Vista Ultimate to put on it.

I have to state whether I want the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version though. What exactly is the difference between 32 and 64 bit?? I assume 64-bit is better? If I go for 64-bit will I have to buy the PC components to accomadate this (64-bit compatible)??

Also Ive heard that you can now only install Vista on one machine and one machine only. If you are moving to a new machine then apparently you can speak to MS and get the license moved across but theres been no mention to virus problems. Can anyone tell what would happen if the PC was hit by a virus and need the OS installed again from scratch but obviously on the same machine??

Damien

Same machine, no problem. Change motherboards and you have to deal with microsoft, but they'll allow it. Unless its an OEM copy, forget the details on that.

32bit is probably what you will want, you have more freedom with drivers then. 64bit Vista will only allow digitally signed (by Microsoft of course) drivers to be used. So no more unofficial video card drivers..

Unless you are going to be using 4+ gigs of RAM you probably won't see much if any benefit with the 64bit version right now.

Your PC components don't care whether the OS is 64 bit or 32, the only component that matters is your CPU.

Cool, thanks for that, I think I will just stick with 32-bit then.

That actually brings me to my next question. The one I was actually looking at was an OEM version. What exactly is the difference between a retail version and an OEM version. Also Ive found one which is a 3-pack OEM version, whats that?

Damien

I don't know 100% for sure. But I think with the retail ones you are supposed to be able to put on as many computers as you want, as long as you only have it on 1 computer at any given time. OEM copies can only be used on 1 computer ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back